Broccomole: Broccoli Guacamole

It’s broccoli guacamole. You’re skeptical, I can tell. But this is really great, and with a creaminess that was slightly shocking, I will be making this again.

And, if you set a serving size at an ounce, as Livestrong is telling me to do, it’s only 22 calories a serving. And only about 250 calories if I eat the entire bowl, which I am prone to doing.

I love guacamole. I profess honest culinary devotion to avocados and guacamole. It is chocked full of healthy fats, vitamins, and protein. A great food that can not be improve upon. This recipe isn’t about improving guacamole. It’s a new food, a lower calorie creamy green dip that is about 1/3 the calories of that guacamole I love. But with twice the protein and less fat.

And broccoli is known cancer fighter, bone strengthener, cardiovascular health champion, bone-fide superfood and one of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet. We could all stand to be a wee bit addicted to a bowl of this stuff.

And it was so tasty, I ate it for lunch. And dinner. It’s like a dip with a mission, you don’t even have to feel bad about it. You are preventing heart disease and stroke one bite at a time. Really, it’s like medicine.

This recipe was inspired by Ludo Lefebvre. While giving an interview about his book, Ludo Bites, he spoke about a Broccomole he made. This is my version.

Broccomole

• 3 cups chopped broccoli
  • 1 jalapeno, chopped, seeds removed
  • 2 tbs green onions
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 2 ounces fat free cream cheese (or silken tofu, goat cheese, sour cream, cashew cream, something creamy)
  • 1/4 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tbs cilantro
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder

1. Cook the broccoli in lightly salted water until very soft. Overcook the broccoli in comparison to the al dente cooking that most recipes recommend.
  2. Drain broccoli very well.
  3. Transfer to a food processor. Add the remaining ingredients and process until smooth, add additional olive oil for a smoother texture.
  4. Serve warm

, , , , ,

123 Responses to Broccomole: Broccoli Guacamole

1. Baker Street October 10, 2012 at 5:06 am #

I was skeptical but the way you described it makes me want to make it right away ;)

2. chinmayie @ love food eat October 10, 2012 at 5:53 am #

That sounds great! I am not skeptical at all :) Such a beautiful green spread.

3. Bree October 10, 2012 at 6:58 am #

How creative~! I bet I would love this too :)

4. Cassie October 10, 2012 at 7:55 am #

I am not skeptical at all, in fact, I want the whole bowl. Such a great idea!

5. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies October 10, 2012 at 8:02 am #

I refuse to eat guacamole because avocados confuse and frighten me, so I’m totally down with guac made with broccoli.

• Jackie October 10, 2012 at 8:52 am #

Haha! My husband is the same way, hates them. Which works out well for me when I rescue him from the green glob they always add to his burrito at Mexican restaurants. He is much more excited about broccoli dip.

• April Fiet May 28, 2013 at 7:04 pm #

I love this recipe idea because I’m actually allergic to avocados. I love, love, love them, but they don’t love me in return!

6. Dixya @ Food, Pleasure and Health October 10, 2012 at 8:06 am #

this is such a brilliant idea to enjoy veggies and eat more chips with it without feeling guilty at all..

7. Ashley - Baker by Nature October 10, 2012 at 8:16 am #

I LOVE broccoli! This will be made.

8. Andrew @ Eating Rules October 10, 2012 at 8:27 am #

I’m skeptical — but only of the “fat-free cream cheese.” Think it would work with 2 ounces of avocado instead? ;)

• Jackie October 10, 2012 at 8:43 am #

When I added that I was actually thinking, “Andrew would not approve of this cream cheese situation!” It needs a creamy component, avocado would be great. Next time I make it I want to try silken tofu or goat cheese.

9. Anna @ hiddenponies October 10, 2012 at 9:33 am #

My 4 year old LOVES broccoli so this dip would be right up her alley! Not sure I could only eat one ounce though :)

10. claire @ the realistic nutritionist October 10, 2012 at 9:51 am #

I would do this. I would. I love it.

11. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious October 10, 2012 at 11:17 am #

This is so innovative! I definitely need to try this! It may even make an appearance for Thanksgiving :)

12. Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama October 10, 2012 at 11:26 am #

Guess what I’m making…. right this very second!

• Jackie October 10, 2012 at 11:28 am #

Yay! Let me know how it turns out :)

13. Jessica@AKitchenAddiction October 10, 2012 at 12:41 pm #

I love broccoli! Great idea to use it in guacamole!

14. Valerie @ From Valerie's Kitchen October 10, 2012 at 1:39 pm #

I was totally skeptical, you’re right, but it looks SO good! I do love broccoli so what the heck, why not? Love this idea Jackie :)

15. Julie @ Table for Two October 10, 2012 at 6:25 pm #

This is seriously one of the most genius creations ever. I will drink it.

16. carol October 10, 2012 at 11:50 pm #

This post is totally inspirational: I am on my way to get some broccoli

17. wanna be cook October 11, 2012 at 6:06 am #

Nice post. I want to make this so I am adding it to my pinterest.

• Jackie October 15, 2012 at 10:57 am #

Thank you so much! I love it when people pin my recipes :)

18. Amy @ Food Crush October 11, 2012 at 8:00 am #

I love the sound of this one… so creative! I’m going to try it out.

19. ally October 11, 2012 at 10:01 am #

i love your variation! all the color but not all the fat! perfect.
    xo

20. Maureen, Milwaukee October 11, 2012 at 10:43 am #

I bet the broccoli could be steamed to prevent nutrient loss : )

• Jackie October 11, 2012 at 1:16 pm #

That sounds great!

21. Colleen, The Smart Cookie Cook October 12, 2012 at 9:51 am #

Broccomole…haha I love it! In fact, I’m kind of upset I didn’t think of it first!

22. Shonda October 12, 2012 at 10:16 am #

This is actually impressive idea for a dip

23. Denise October 13, 2012 at 3:08 am #

This dip looks so good and comforting, just want to dip everything in it (first need to make it, I know!). The name reminds me of one of Nigella’s recipes, where she combines roquefort and guacemole, and this definitely looks just as good!

• Jackie October 15, 2012 at 10:58 am #

Roquefort guacamole? That sounds amazing!

24. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. October 15, 2012 at 8:59 pm #

I think this is just brilliant!

25. Peggy October 16, 2012 at 1:14 pm #

What a great new take on a classic dip =)

26. Jessica Brown October 16, 2012 at 6:18 pm #

I think it looks really good. Found it on Pinterest!

27. Wilma October 17, 2012 at 10:14 am #

I was skeptical, but I made it because I already had everything in my house. and This was delicious!

28. Donna October 17, 2012 at 1:38 pm #

I consider myself a bit of a guac snob, so I can’t call it by the cute name you gave it, but it looks delicious! I have to try it.

29. Josi October 17, 2012 at 2:19 pm #

Just made this. Its really yummy. Will make again.

• Jackie October 17, 2012 at 2:28 pm #

So great! That makes me happy :)

30. Allison Brummet October 18, 2012 at 1:35 pm #

Looks so good! I bet this would go over well at girls’ night!

31. Lori October 19, 2012 at 8:14 pm #

Do you use all parts of the broccoli or just the flowerets?

• Jackie October 20, 2012 at 7:31 am #

I use the flowerets

32. Lindsey November 3, 2012 at 1:56 pm #

Do you think this would work with frozen broccoli or does it have to be fresh?

• Jackie November 3, 2012 at 7:18 pm #

Sounds like it would work just fine.

33. Amanda November 4, 2012 at 8:02 pm #

This was AWESOME! I made this today and was NOT disappointed! Thanks!

Amanda

34. Anusha November 4, 2012 at 9:56 pm #

I just made this. It’s so tasty! Thank you for this recipe!
    And you’re right. It is soo easy to get addicted to it! I had the whole bowl for lunch, and I’m planning to make some tomorrow too!

35. claire November 20, 2012 at 12:40 pm #

I’m allergic to avocados (whaaaat? i know tragic) i have been so depressed about not being able to eat it with asada or taquitos! I’m going to try this and see if it can help me work through my avocado-less depression :)

• Jackie November 20, 2012 at 1:48 pm #

That is tragic! Hope this can be a some avocado-recovery therapy for you :)

• April Fiet May 28, 2013 at 7:07 pm #

Claire, I am too!

36. Danielle Foley November 21, 2012 at 6:01 am #

I am making this tonight to snack on while waiting for the Thanksgiving Feast tomorrow! how does this store? I’ll be making it today–Will it still be good tomorrow & Friday? And also–I don’t have a food processor–would a blender work Ok?

• Jackie November 21, 2012 at 8:45 am #

Just store it in tupperware and make sure to heat it up a little before serving, it tastes best warm.

37. Rita December 27, 2012 at 5:46 am #

I made this last night – love it! Good idea to use avocado instead of cream cheese. I’ll have to try that next time.

38. kita December 31, 2012 at 8:26 am #

Just discovered this on Cassies round up for NYE dip ideas and damned if Im not considering a trip to the market right now.

39. sharna January 1, 2013 at 7:51 pm #

Can’t wait to try this! I’m allergic to avocado so this will be great! I miss guac!

40. Jessica January 2, 2013 at 1:19 pm #

I just made this, but substituted reduced fat green onion flavored cream cheese (it’s what I had on hand). Delish!!! I might just eat the entire bowl!

41. Beth Sowell January 5, 2013 at 10:40 am #

I made this today, it is wonderful! We loved it. My only recommendation for change would be to add some garlic or garlic powder. Way to go on a great recipe!

• Jackie February 3, 2013 at 9:42 am #

I love that idea!

42. Amber January 14, 2013 at 12:38 pm #

“really, it’s like medicine”….hahahahahaha

43. Jenn A January 16, 2013 at 7:25 am #

Great idea, definitely trying this! Although, I will probably sub avocado for cream cheese. The fat in avocado is the good kind of fat that our bodies need- especially our brains! Fat free cream cheese may lower calories, but it adds a lot of Chemicals… No thank you! :). Fabulous idea.

• Jackie January 16, 2013 at 9:06 am #

I agree, plant fat is always so much healthier than dairy fat! You can also sub in silken tofu (but that also has a lot of chemicals) or goat cheese, or cashew cream. I wanted this to be avo-fee (even though I LOVE avocados) because there are actually quite a few people who are nearly deathly allergic to avocados (how sad!) and I wanted to give them something they could have as a replacement for guacamole. But you are free to experiment and make it your own!

• Jen July 18, 2013 at 3:36 pm #

and We Thank you For It! Why Are There So Many Of Us That Are Allergic And love avocado?! :(

Can’t Wait To Try This!

44. Cassandra January 19, 2013 at 12:45 pm #

I made this today, added 1 tsp of garlic salt and it was delicious! My husband won’t go near broccoli and he ate a whole bowl! Thanks for the great idea!

• Jackie January 19, 2013 at 3:03 pm #

Yay! So glad you and your hubs liked it :)

45. Heidi January 25, 2013 at 9:40 pm #

Fresh cilantro or dried?

• Jackie January 26, 2013 at 2:42 pm #

Fresh. Come to think of it, I don’t know if I’ve ever run across dried cilantro!

46. Elly January 29, 2013 at 6:04 am #

Could I use fat free Greek yogurt in this recipe?

• simplycilicia January 30, 2013 at 5:14 am #

I was wondering this same thing.

• Jackie January 30, 2013 at 5:41 pm #

I think that would be great :)

• Maddie February 1, 2013 at 1:20 pm #

My son’s two favorite foods after pickles and cheese are broccoli and guacamole, in that order. This is the perfect marriage of the two…now how to marry cheese and pickles? ;)

• Sarah@Crazy Love Gamble-Style April 11, 2013 at 9:43 pm #

I used Greek yogurt, turned out great!! I also used some real garlic, yum! Love this recipe!

47. T February 7, 2013 at 12:26 pm #

Wow…I wanted to try this recipe so bad! I was looking for spinach dip because i had it thawing in the fridge for 2 days and really needed to use it.
    So i used spinach instead of broccoli. Yum it worked great. I used twice the greek yougurt and 1/2 c cream cheese, and all I had was dried cilantro.
    I was cooking up a chicken breast for lunch and thought…why not? So i spooned it over the chicken. I have to say it was delish, and saved a few calories not using chips or crackers.
    Thanks for the inspiration!

48. Charles a February 10, 2013 at 7:39 pm #

Tried it with guacmol and it’s amazing with both. Love it

49. Tammy February 19, 2013 at 8:10 pm #

THANK YOU for this awesome recipe… And since I have been aware of it, I’ve made it TWICE now in a weeks time!!
    So, I must add a little feedback/thoughts:
    The first time I made it (only 1/2 recipe) it was AmAzinG!!! I boiled the broccoli- with stalks, (wasn’t thinking about nutrient loss and just did it) and in a blender added broccoli and then all the other ingredients minus the jalapeño (didn’t have any:-/) It turned out PERFECT! I was so excited I took it to work!!! And everyone loved it. I topped it with tomatoes and green onions, and ate with chips but red peppers were even better!!
    The second time, I steamed the broccoli with stalks and in a blender added all the ingredients and then the broccoli. I used low fat cream cheese both times. The second time the results were not so good… total bummer! It was like a soft purée vs the creamy dip the first time around!
    What did I do wrong??? Would love any feedback! Thanks!!:)

50. Tammy February 19, 2013 at 8:11 pm #

So, I must add a little feedback/thoughts:
    What did I do wrong??? Would love any feedback! Thanks!!:)

• Jackie February 19, 2013 at 8:56 pm #

I’m not sure what happened. Maybe steaming was the problem? I’ve never steamed it. Maybe too much stalk? It’s hard to say. So sorry it didn’t work the second time, but if you figure it out, let me know!

• Mary April 10, 2013 at 3:16 am #

Maybe it was a combination of using a blender and steaming the broc? Blenders are not the same as a food processor, so that could have contributed.

• Jackie April 10, 2013 at 6:55 am #

People who steam the broccoli seem to not like it as well. Boiling gives the best results.

51. Jeanne @ Cooksister February 24, 2013 at 7:16 am #

Hi – just a heads-up, but this site seems to have taken your recipe & photo and are passing it off as their own: http://girlsguideto.com/articles/healthy-girl-recipe-broccoli-guacamole-aka-broccomoler

• Jackie February 24, 2013 at 8:40 am #

Thank you! I reported them to their webhost. I hate that. I can’t imagine anyone thinking it’s ok to use someone else’s work without permission. Credit does not equal consent. Especially when they post my entire recipe and re-watermark with their watermark!

52. tiffini March 7, 2013 at 9:57 am #

this was very good! will be making again. thanks for posting:)

53. Alejandra March 7, 2013 at 3:22 pm #

I was believing the whole mock-amole until I read “served warm”. Is it good at room temp or cold like regular guac?

• Jackie March 7, 2013 at 4:03 pm #

Either way, I like it better warm. But some people like it better cold. The name is just to be kitschy it’s not supposed to be fake-amole.

54. Claire March 14, 2013 at 12:10 pm #

Very nice! I used neufchatel cheese and that worked well. Thinking about adding more next time and using the “broccomole” as a sandwich spread

55. Wendy March 14, 2013 at 7:07 pm #

This looks and sounds yummy! I will definitely be giving this a try!

56. Angela April 13, 2013 at 4:07 pm #

Yum! Just tried this today (found via Pinterest), and it’s delicious. I’m a big fan of citrus and spice, so I added some hot sauce and lime juice as well. Thanks for the inspiration and for sharing this recipe :-)

• Jackie April 14, 2013 at 12:52 pm #

That sounds wonderful! I love the additions :)

57. Aubrey April 16, 2013 at 6:04 pm #

Want to make this right now, but only thing creamy I’ve got is plain low fat yogurt. What do you think?

• Jackie April 16, 2013 at 6:52 pm #

Is it sweetened? If it’s unsweetened, it would probably be fine.

58. Karen April 26, 2013 at 5:19 pm #

Just made my first batch and let me just say ” you are a genius”. I used frozen broccoli and for the “creamy” I used light sour cream. So good I’m changing my dinner menu for tonight to chicken burritos with broccomoli in no carb tortillas – weight watchers ;-) .

59. Chiquita Latina May 1, 2013 at 7:17 pm #

OMG! Just made this! I used fat free cream cheese and half a jalapeno and left the seeds in! I am soooo amazed at how awesome this turned out! Thank you so much for sharing!

60. Tina July 31, 2013 at 1:47 pm #

JUST made this for lunch to go along with leftover chicken fajitas stuffed in warmed corn tortillas. I have to admit, I was a bit skeptical at first, but we busted out the bag of corn chips to just give it a taste, it was AMAZING! My kids and I all loved it! We all agreed it is different than guacamole, but it is a great low fat sub that is fantastic at sneaking in more green veggies! I will definitely make this again. I think next time I will look for a dairy free cream cheese so it has a bit more tang to it. (I used tofu, which was great, but I think the tang of cream cheese would just add a little something) I wonder if a squeeze of lemon would add what I am looking for….anyway, THANK YOU! SUPER YUM!

61. Pamela Waterman (@BracesFriendly) October 17, 2013 at 8:10 am #

I, too, am allergic to avocado but love broccoli, so this is a super idea. In addition, I’m always looking for creamy new dips and spreads that are easy to eat for people in braces – this will be excellent!

62. Phaedime December 24, 2013 at 5:10 am #

I made this last saturday and it was a big hit with birthday guests. I used creamcheese and served it cold, it was delicious.

I was asked to make it again for Christmas. And I will, with goatcheese =) I’m sure it will be just as good.

Thank you for this recipe.

63. Patti Shenfield January 17, 2014 at 3:24 pm #

I just made this, but used what I had in the cupboard…I used packaged guacamole mix and 1/4 cup of plain yogurt with the 3 cups of cooked broccoli and 1 tsp olive oil. I put it all in the blender and blended until smooth. It was delicious and addicting. Thank you for the idea!! If you use fat free plain yogurt, it is 0 weight watchers points :)

64. Denise Balzer January 31, 2014 at 3:32 pm #

This recipe looks amazing! I never thought to use broccoli in a dip. I am definitely adding this to my Super Bowl menu.

1. broccamole (broccoli guacamole) « fried sig - October 14, 2012

[...] from domestic fits Rate this:Share this:SharePrintEmailTwitterFacebookRedditTumblrDiggStumbleUponLike this:LikeBe the [...]

2. Broccomole!!! « the ASHLEY files - November 4, 2012

[...] BROCCOMOLE (adapted from Domestic Fits) [...]

3. What Lies Ahead: Eating « Bariatric Beginnings - December 11, 2012

[...] I am also attending a support group holiday party. The dish I am bringing is a broccoli dip, click here for the recipe. Obviously I’m not eating anything at the party but I love to cook and make [...]

4. Broccoli Pesto Pasta - Easy Healthy Dinner Recipe - December 21, 2012

[...] Domestic Fits: Broccomole: Broccoli Guacamole  [...]

5. Last-Minute Party Dips | Bake Your Day - December 31, 2012

[...] Chorizo Caramelized Onion Dip from Foodie Crush Broccomole from Domestic Fits Restaurant-Style Salsa from Lauren’s Latest Hamburger Dip from Chef In [...]

6. Broccomole | Morgan Engel's Site - January 7, 2013

[...] via Broccomole. [...]

7. JAN 15, 2013 – Broccomole: Broccoli Guacamole « Miami Women-Only Fitness Bootcamp - January 15, 2013

[...] Avocados are an amazingly healthy food, but if you’re trying to lean out, you may want to avoid eating too much of them since they are high in fats (good fats, but still).  Instead, I found this cool recipe for guacamole using broccoli instead of avocado. (http://domesticfits.com/2012/10/10/broccomole/) [...]

8. Weekly Pinspiration: Broccomole, Tomato Basil Quinoa Salad, Avocado Tomato Salad | AR Farm Bureau Blog: Taste Arkansas - January 26, 2013

[...] 1 | 2 | 3 [...]

9. More Creative Than Guacamole (Say Hello To The Veggie Dip) | merlin.b - January 27, 2013

[...] many veggies, so I thought I’d take care of that by trying a recipe I saw on Pinterest from Domestic Fits blog called Broccamole- aka: a dip that’s supposed to taste like guacamole but is in fact [...]

10. 31 Guilt-Free Super Bowl Snacks | Greatist - January 30, 2013

[...] avocados in the recipe, the mix still turns out creamy and green like the old-fashioned stuff. The broccamole is a low-cal, low-fat, guilt-free dip with lots of vitamin C — over 100 percent of the daily [...]

11. Super Bowl Saturday: Dipping Into a Recipe Roundup | Eat Like An Elephant - February 2, 2013

[...] Broccomole: Broccoli Guacamole via Domestic Fits [...]

12. 31 Guilt-Free Super Bowl Snacks | msufairtrade.com - February 4, 2013

13. Letta - February 8, 2013

It was so easy and so good. will make again

14. Update on Super Bowl Gathering | mypkdlife - March 4, 2013

[...] http://domesticfits.com/2012/10/10/broccomole/  [...]

15. Healthy Way To Cook Recipe: Broccomole - April 1, 2013

[...] from Domestic Fits Ingredients: 3 cups chopped broccoli 1 jalapeno, chopped, seeds removed 2 tbs green onions 1 tsp [...]

16. Broccomole and Nachos | Donna's Food For Thought - April 17, 2013

[...] wish I could take credit for this awesome idea but I found this recipe on domesticfits.com. Within about 5 minutes of the above picture being taken, all of that was devoured. So [...]

17. Weekly Drool / Summer Cooking To-Do List | Foodie Trapped in a Dorm - April 22, 2013

[...] For those crazy people who claim they don’t like avocados (ahem, my boyfriend), Guacamame and Broccomole [...]

18. 35 Vegetarian Recipes for Cinco de Mayo (+ 10 Bonus Margarita Recipes) | Kitchen Treaty - April 29, 2013

[...] Broccomole {vegan option} – Domestic Fits [...]

19. Broccomole - a Healthy Alternative to Traditional Guacamole - May 11, 2013

[...] Get the recipe here. [...]

20. Best Healthy Recipes - Nutritious Taste Sensations - June 27, 2013

[...] Broccomole – a low fat alternative to the traditional Guacamole – Domestic Fits [...]

21. New Dishes This Week | Rivera-Web.com - July 19, 2013

[...] tried a few new health dishes.  The first, Broccomole!  Yes, it’s like Guac, but with broccoli.  It was surprisingly good.  My wife prepared [...]

22. Do you wake up on your own and wonder where you are? You live with all your faults. | Wildflowerz' Blog - September 20, 2013

[...] decent and definitely worth the 2 P+.  Tomorrow, I’m making Crispy Buffalo Chickpeas and Broccomole.  I didn’t point the chickpeas before I decided on them.  They’re 4 P+ for 1/4 cup. [...]

23. Broccomole (low FODMAPs Friday!) - Candid RD - October 5, 2013

[...] Serves: ~8 Modified slightly from this source Ingredients 3 cups chopped broccoli (fresh or frozen) ** 1 jalapeno 2 Tbsp. Green onions, green [...]

24. Fine Dining | the windy blog - November 24, 2013

[...] starters, parmesan and dill polenta fries, served with a variety of dips, including broccomole (like guacamole but with broccoli since avocados aren’t in season), beet humus (for a deep [...]

25. YEAH! | fightinghs - December 15, 2013

[...] after grocery shopping, I put together some snackies to have on hand through the week. I made some broccomole (like guacamole, but with broccoli, thank God for Pinterest!) and some paleo and autoimmune [...]

26. 41 Guilt-free snacks for the big game. | Huatees - January 29, 2014

[…] 1. Chips and Broccamole Guac-amole is an instant win, but this brocc-amole is a delicious way to make for a healthier win. While there are actually no avocados in the recipe, the mix still turns out creamy and green like the old-fashioned stuff. The broccamole is a low-cal, low-fat, guilt-free dip with lots of vitamin C — over 100 percent of the daily recommended value in a cup [1]. […]

27. Go Hawks! | YWCA Health Access: Empowering Women in Health - January 31, 2014

[…] Broccomole: Broccoli Guacamole […]

28. NIFS: Game Day Healthy Food Swaps - February 3, 2014

[…] Broccomole instead of Guacamole […]

29. Broccomole: Broccoli Guacamole. Only 20 calories a serving, but insanely creamy and addictive. | adventureideaz.com - February 9, 2014

[…] Source […]