I can’t decide if I’ve been obsessed with Dessert for Breakfast or if it’s really an obsession with Breakfast for Dessert.
Well, you say, it depends on what time of day said meal is being consumed. Although if this dessert/breakfast hybrid is eating all day long, the lines get a little blurred.
I figured out that although I eat pretty well most of the week, I let myself eat whatever I want at my Saturday morning breakfast, making me want to get the most bang for my bite. Hence, breakfast and dessert crammed into one plate. I hope you don’t mind too much.
And if you want to get craaaazy, go ahead and top this with vanilla ice cream. And sprinkle it with bacon. But make sure and invite me over.
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup milk (divided in half)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, divided
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturers specifications.
- Get out three bowls.
- In the largest bowl, add the flour, baking powder,cocoa powder, and salt, stir.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add the chocolate chips and 1/2 cup milk. Microwave for 30 seconds, stir and repeat until melted. Add the remaining milk, vegetable oil, vanilla and only the yolks of the two eggs.
- Add the whites to the third bowl, along with the sugar. Whip with a hand mixer until soft peaks form, about 5 minutes.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients, add the chocolate milk mixture and stir until just combined. Gently fold into the egg whites until just incorporated.
- Cook in waffle iron according to manufacturers specifications, using butter flavored cooking spray if indicated.
- And I recommend topping with whipped cream, or ice cream, or frosting, or chocolate chips, or all of it.