( chocolate coconut ice cream vegan )
I’m still in shock about this ice cream.
First, I am still wrestling with this realization that I actually DO like coconut after years of testifying to my hatred for it. But it turns out that I love it, and my favorite of all the coconut products is coconut milk. And although I still loath “coconut” candy and all the oddly texture invasive disgust that it has assaulted my mouth with over the years, but I can’t hold that against the amazing substance that is coconut milk.
I can’t stop putting it in things and my fervent adoration has only grown once I have discovered what it does once it hits my KitchenAid Ice Cream maker (affiliate link).
A creamy texture that is much better than any cow’s milk product I have ever made. You’ve seen a can of full fat coconut milk, and that creamy layer on the top, it’s beautiful. And it’s incredible in ice cream, with a smooth and rich flavor that reminds me of the gelato I had in Italy.
You will love this and everyone will be shocked that it’s vegan. I can’t even believe it.
- 2 (13.5 oz) cans of full fat coconut milk
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup good quality unsweetened cocoa powder
- In a pot over medium heat, add all the ingredients and stir. Allow to simmer until thickened slightly, about 8 minutes.
- Place in a container and refrigerate until cold, about 4 hours.
- Add to an ice cream maker and churn until set, about 15 to 20 minutes. Freeze until desired consistency is reached
* Here is an article about white sugar that is known to be vegan, for those who have concerns about the final processing of white table sugars. I like the Whole Foods brand!