Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream (Vegan)

( chocolate coconut ice cream vegan )

I’m still in shock about this ice cream.

First, I am still wrestling with this realization that I actually DO like coconut after years of testifying to my hatred for it. But it turns out that I love it, and my favorite of all the coconut products is coconut milk. And although I still loath “coconut” candy and all the oddly texture invasive disgust that it has assaulted my mouth with over the years, but I can’t hold that against the amazing substance that is coconut milk.

I can’t stop putting it in things and my fervent adoration has only grown once I have discovered what it does once it hits my Kitchen Aid Ice Cream maker.

A creamy texture that is much better than any cow’s milk product I have ever made. You’ve seen a can of full fat coconut milk, and that creamy layer on the top, it’s beautiful. And it’s incredible in ice cream, with a smooth and rich flavor that reminds me of the gelato I had in Italy.

You will love this and everyone will be shocked that it’s vegan. I can’t even believe it.

Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream

• 2 (13.5 oz) cans of full fat coconut milk
  • 1 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup good quality unsweetened cocoa powder
  • Yield: About 2 1/2 cups

1. In a pot over medium heat, add all the ingredients and stir. Allow to simmer until thickened slightly, about 8 minutes.
  2. Place in a container and refrigerate until cold, about 4 hours.
  3. Add to an ice cream maker and churn until set, about 15 to 20 minutes. Freeze until desired consistency is reached
  4. *Note: I use a Kitchen Aid Ice Cream maker: churn time was 15 minutes for a "soft serve" consistency and another 2 hours of freeze time for a harder scoop style ice cream.

* Here is an article about white sugar that is known to be vegan, for those who have concerns about the final processing of white table sugars. I like the Whole Foods brand!

63 Responses to Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream (Vegan)

1. claire @ the realistic nutritionist August 8, 2012 at 11:07 am #

Just shut up. Vegan? Oh yes yes yes yes yes yes.

2. Baking Serendipity August 8, 2012 at 12:14 pm #

I’ve been obsessed with all things coconut lately. And this definitely makes the favorite list!

3. amy @ fearless homemaker August 8, 2012 at 3:26 pm #

I looove the combo of chocolate + coconut, so this sounds perfect to me. Only 3 ingredients? And vegan? It almost sounds too perfect to be true!

4. Julie @ Table for Two August 8, 2012 at 5:22 pm #

wow, chocolate and coconut in ice cream..just scoop me a pint, please!

5. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious August 8, 2012 at 6:54 pm #

Awesome combo, Jackie! And it’s the perfect way to cool off here in the valley. It’s been sooooo hot!

Btw, I’m not a coconut fan either but for some reason, I LOOOOOVE coconut milk. I think I might be obsessed with it.

6. Baker Street August 8, 2012 at 11:28 pm #

It totally feels like a coconut chocolate kinda day!! I LOVE the combination and your vegan recipe sounds fantastic, Jackie!

7. Jen @ Savory Simple August 9, 2012 at 5:31 am #

Coconut milk makes the best ice cream! This looks wonderful.

8. Natalie August 9, 2012 at 8:20 am #

I just made a very similar recipe the other day using a 1/4 cup of agave necter instead of sugar and unsweetened bakers chocolate as well as the coconut milk. I’m an ice cream lover and this is one of the richest treats I’ve had. I was pleasantly surprised by the combination!

• Jackie August 9, 2012 at 9:40 am #

It’s shocking that it’s vegan. My husband is the a much bigger fan of ice cream than I am, and chocolate is his fav and even he was shocked that it was vegan.

9. Kare @ Kitchen Treaty August 9, 2012 at 8:31 am #

I’ve always loved coconut anything (well, the candy you mention doesn’t sound great, but other than that …). But I, too, have just this summer discovered the joys of coconut milk. It makes great popsicles, too – even the “lite” versions!

This ice cream looks so great, and I love that it has only three ingredients. I want to sneak some chocolate chunks in there, but that’s just me being a pig. :)

• Jackie August 9, 2012 at 9:39 am #

That sounds awesome. And maybe some nuts and marshmallows and make a coconut rocky road.

10. marla August 9, 2012 at 12:10 pm #

Such a fun ice cream!

11. petra k August 9, 2012 at 3:04 pm #

Usually I do not make recipes off blogs but I just gave up dairy because my son is allergic and I’m so happy I did! This was so good, it didn’t even taste vegan one bit. I am going to make this even if he grows out the allergy. It was even better than I expected.

12. Tiffany August 9, 2012 at 4:30 pm #

Oh HECK yeah! I recently made a vegan chocolate lavender ice cream with coconut milk and silken tofu. It was out of this world!!! I can only imagine how lovely your ice cream was!

• Kim Conrad August 10, 2012 at 10:57 pm #

That sounds amazing! Is there a recipe online?

13. chinmayie @ love food eat August 9, 2012 at 11:51 pm #

How simple is this! I recently tried making ice-cream with cashew and almond milk and it worked so well. Now I have to try coconut milk as well :)

14. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies August 10, 2012 at 11:51 am #

This week I realized that summer is nearing an end and I’ve only used my ice cream maker once. Sad! Might have to make some coconut milk ice cream soon…

15. ATasteOfMadness August 12, 2012 at 9:06 am #

This sounds so simple!! All I need now is an ice cream maker…

16. Maggie August 14, 2012 at 10:40 am #

This was awesome. I did use dark cocoa…cause it was all I had and I may scale it back a bit next time, but still totally amazing.

17. fatpiginthemarket August 24, 2012 at 3:23 pm #

Coconut milk instead of cream in ice cream is totally inspiring me. I love the stuff. Very cool idea!

18. Amy @ Food Crush September 4, 2012 at 1:29 pm #

Oh wow, I would love a bowl of this right now! It looks divine and I love the recipe.

19. Michelle November 5, 2012 at 6:07 am #

I just made this today and it is to die for!!! So simple, too, I love it! It’s hardeing in the freezer too; can’t wait to eat it in a few hours. SO creamy and flavorful. My cocoa all lumped up so I strained the mixture before sticking it in the fridge. I just pressed on the cocoa lumps through the strainer. Some of them squished out came out on the other side, but I ended up discarding some of it that wouldn’t go through. Not a problem in the finished recipe, though.

20. Julia March 30, 2013 at 5:47 pm #

Make this recipe all the time, it’s wonderful :) Tonight we threw in some mint chocolate chips (vegan) and chopped walnuts. Amazing!!!

• Jackie March 31, 2013 at 3:37 pm #

That sounds amazing!!

21. Sonya May 30, 2013 at 9:09 am #

I made this two days ago and WOW is it good! I will fully admit that I was kinda sceptical..I dont know why but I was. I mixed it up,put it into the ice cream maker and had to stop myself from eating it all when putting it into a container to freeze for awhile..lol It was fantastic and super easy. I can see adding in some chopped almonds or walnuts aswell. Total keeper of a recipe..thank you!

• Jackie May 30, 2013 at 9:59 am #

Thank you Sonya! So glad you liked it :) and I’m with you on the nuts, that sounds great. Or toasted coconut on top?

22. Paulette Provost June 17, 2013 at 1:27 pm #

I can’t eat sugar…can I make this with stevia?

• Jackie June 17, 2013 at 2:49 pm #

I’m not sure, I’ve never used Stevia. If you do, report back and let me know how it went!

23. Moonriseprincess July 9, 2013 at 3:06 am #

I mad this ice cream and also made two other flavors with the same recipe: berries and vanilla, I simply replaced the cocoa with vanilla and wizzed up, strained berries….awesomeeeeeee….best thing I had since ever….my friend and husband loved also….made a combo with bananas, raspberry, chopped nuts, melted vegan choc and sour cherry syrup….no words to describe…..thank you….

• Jackie July 9, 2013 at 8:15 am #

Awesome! So glad you like it :)

24. Alyaa July 13, 2013 at 4:59 am #

is it oz as in ml or grams?

• Jackie July 13, 2013 at 7:07 am #

Liquid is generally measured in fluid ounces, not weight. So it can be converted into ML. But it just needs two standard sized cans of full fat coconut milk.

25. Jnr July 19, 2013 at 6:29 am #

Can this be done without an ice cream maker? It looks so amazing and such a simple recipe!

26. Barbara July 29, 2013 at 6:13 am #

Can you make this without simmering the mixture first?

• Jackie July 29, 2013 at 9:25 am #

Not really. It’s the only way to make sure the sugar has dissolved and well combined with the coconut milk and cocoa powder.

27. Christine Whittington August 25, 2013 at 11:13 am #

I also have an extreme hatred of coconut–almost an aversion. I can only think that it must be related to texture, because coconut milk is not a problem–quite the opposite, in fact. I love it! I love coconut milk yogurt, ice cream, in curries, etc., as long as it is really smooth.

THIS is the best thing I have made in my ice cream maker yet. It also does not freeze into an ungodly block–the texture remains perfect. I did add 1 T vanilla extract after simmering and cooling, and that may help with keeping it at the right texture.

Thank you! This is superb!

• Jackie August 25, 2013 at 11:17 am #

Great! Love the vanilla extract idea :)

28. Maya August 27, 2013 at 11:50 am #

Hi! this is goooood, yum! I make pretty much the same thing but no cooking required, I just mix the coconut milk, with cacao and honey (instead of sugar). I also added some vanilla flavour, some brandy and some chopped black chocolate.

29. Amy P September 3, 2013 at 8:17 am #

Hi!
    I live in Indonesia where coconut is abundant. No canned stuff here.
    So if I want to use fresh one, how thick of the consistency should I be looking for?

Thanks:)

• Jackie September 3, 2013 at 3:41 pm #

Fairly thick, I would say like slightly runny pudding.

• Vijay January 27, 2014 at 12:46 am #

Canned ones are better, they are way thicker than home made. We make coconut milk all the time at home, blender and a strainer. Even the thickest first pressing milk was watery compared to canned one.

BTW I’m from India and we get 3 big coconuts for 1 USD :-) !! We never buy canned stuff for our regular cooking. But for icecream we do get canned coconut milk.

30. Laura September 10, 2013 at 8:02 am #

I made this last night- I could not believe how good it was! All I could find at the store was Trader Joes Canned Coconut Cream and it made the ice cream thick and creamy. I was amazed at how simple and yet how rich-tasting it was. And as it was churning in my ice cream maker- I added little chunks of chunky pnt butter. The best ever! Thanks again

• BUGI November 12, 2013 at 12:11 pm #

Hi, sounds great, but I am a little confused, is it 2 whole cans of coconut milk or only the fat stuff on top when I open the can ?

• Jackie November 12, 2013 at 6:33 pm #

The entire cans.

31. Ebru December 19, 2013 at 2:32 am #

This is a very tasty recipe. Made this yesterday it’s great ;-)

32. Lea December 21, 2013 at 6:06 pm #

Can you please tell me, is the recipe for 1 + 1/4 cups of sugar or 1/4 cup of sugar. Want to make this but don’t want to get it wrong.
    Thanks

• Jackie December 21, 2013 at 6:09 pm #

It’s 1 and 1/4 cups sugar

33. Azure December 30, 2013 at 9:19 am #

I just made this ice cream and it was very good. I added toasted almonds and vegan marshmallow pieces for a vegan rocky road. My only note would be to cut down the sugar as it was a bit too sweet. Most recipes I have seen using two cans of milk use 3/4 cup sugar. But overall this recipe was delicious and my whole family loved it.

34. LizS February 4, 2014 at 1:02 pm #

This is delicious and doesn’t set rock hard in the freezer after 24 hours like cream based ice cream does. Very simple recipe too.

35. Jaq February 23, 2014 at 2:14 pm #

I loved this recipe, and so did my partner, who makes a lot of his own ice cream….thank you, thank you!!!! (I’m lactose intolerant, and now gluten free, and this recipe is perfect!)

• Jackie February 23, 2014 at 2:39 pm #

Oh good! I’m so glad :)

36. Rebecca Miller May 27, 2014 at 7:38 pm #

Sitting in my fridge awaiting it’s time in the freezer but so far it tastes divine. Kiddos didn’t want to try vegan ice cream but I gave them a sample and they were thrilled. Easy recipe, too. Thanks for sharing!

37. Laila Vieira Martins May 28, 2014 at 8:03 am #

I don’t have an ice cream maker (in fact, I don’t even know if it is sold here in Portugal). Is it possible to do this recipe without it or using a regular mixer? Thanks for the help. :)

• Jackie May 28, 2014 at 10:57 am #

Not really. You can try freezing it, and stirring it every 15 minutes, it might work but it might also just crystalize.

1. vegan chocolate coconut ice cream. | Cooking Pics - August 9, 2012

[...] vegan chocolate coconut ice cream. /* [...]

2. A Farewell to Summer - The Celebration Girl - September 27, 2012

[...] banana ice cream from The Kitchn (a wonderful guilt free treat!) , and an absolutely delicious vegan coconut chocolate ice cream.  We also made Food and Cook’s chocolate popsicles  and  her yogurt and raspberries [...]

3. Menu Plan Monday – second week of Lent | heartland Renaissance - March 25, 2013

[...] his birthday warrants me firing up ye olde ice cream maker for the first time this season with some chocolate coconut milk ice cream.  [...]

4. Home Made Ice Cream Recipes You Need To Try | Weeklysauce - April 15, 2013

[...] but I think it’s because I used a coconut milk drink, rather than full fat coconut milk. Try this recipe if you’re [...]

5. Food – Awesome Vegan Ice Cream Recipes | Everything Cool - June 15, 2013

[...] Recipe here. [...]

6. lovely list // 01 | ▲WORKHOUSE▽ - July 29, 2013

[...] up with old friends and their wee one -watched a movie + had a family slumber party -we made coconut chocolate ice cream -being gifted with an abundance of kale and nectarines from homegrown gardens -watching anaïs make [...]

7. First Dairy-Free Ice Cream: Chocolate Coconut | Dairy-Free Switzerland - September 27, 2013

[...] but finally found the time to do it this morning. I discovered an extremely easy recipe online for Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream, and we pulled out our old ice cream maker. I think it’s been a decade since we last used it, but [...]

8. Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream | Living Small in a Big World - February 23, 2014

[…] http://domesticfits.com/2012/08/08/chocolate-coconut-ice-cream-vegan/ […]