Coconut Caramel Sauce

The phrase, “If I had a gun to my head, and was forced to choose between [A. non-imporant thing] and [B. non-important thing]…” is hilarious.

Maybe it’s because I’m all hopped up on caffeine and DayQuil, but the thought of some masked man running around with a fire arm demanding that someone choose between Ryan Gosling and Ryan Reynolds fills me with the giggles.

The image I have is of a cartoon man, a hybrid of The Hamburgler and a bank robber from Ducktales running rampant through a mall, guns flying: “EDWARD OR JACOB!?!” It’s like a real life game of Would You Rather? with disastrous consequences.

So lets say that I someday meet this striped shirt, leather newsboy cap wearing, eye-masked character and he forces, yes, FORCES me to choose between chocolate and caramel…my choice would be caramel. * Sigh * I’m so sorry chocolate, but I had a GUN to my HEAD.

Coconut Caramel Sauce

1 cup sugar

1/4 cup light corn syrup

2 tbs butter

1/2 cup coconut milk

In a pot over high heat, melt the sugar and corn syrup. Stir until melted, then stop stirring, allowing to boil untouched. You will start to see the edges of the sauce turn a dark amber, while the center is still clear. Swirl the pan, without stirring, to redistribute the sugar so the edges don’t cook faster than the middle. Once the entire pot is an amber color and you can smell the caramel flavors, remove the pan from the heat (about 8-10 minutes). Stir in the butter, the sauce will bubble up furiously. Add the coconut milk and stir until well combined. Allow to cool to room temperature before serving. Store in the fridge in an air tight container.

Printable: Coconut Caramel Sauce

Take a second to Like Domestic Fits on Facebook to receive updates about new posts in your feed!

, ,

32 Responses to Coconut Caramel Sauce

1. Blog is the New BLack February 27, 2012 at 12:39 pm #

Ha! Nutella would be my “gun to my head food.” But I might take this, too! ;)

• Jackie February 27, 2012 at 1:10 pm #

My confession of the day is that I’ve never had Nutella. I know! *Gasp*

2. Tina@flourtrader February 27, 2012 at 12:45 pm #

I am just thinking of all the wonderful ways to use this sauce in desserts-yum! Perfect for pound cake, ice cream, fruit…now I really think I need to have this sauce on hand. Delicious creation! I have to admit though I would choose chocolate with a gun to my head. Have a great day!

• Jackie February 27, 2012 at 1:10 pm #

I think that most people would choose chocolate, I know my husband would! I just looooove caramel.

3. cassie February 27, 2012 at 12:56 pm #

LOVE this. Great use of coconut milk!!

4. Deanna February 27, 2012 at 12:58 pm #

That’s a really tough call. This caramel I would take over chocolate. Most of the time I would go with chocolate.

5. Michelle February 27, 2012 at 1:17 pm #

Caramel with a fleck of sea salt, please! Totally going to try this one, Jackie, looks divine!

• Jackie February 27, 2012 at 1:29 pm #

Yes to the sea salt! Love LOVE salted caramel.

6. Everly Hain February 27, 2012 at 2:57 pm #

i really find much new things on this blog that i love. caramel sauce with coconut milk sounds delicious i want to make it for a school projet

7. Baker Street February 28, 2012 at 12:22 am #

Woah! Coconut + Caramel sounds heavenly!

8. Tya @ Note Etc. February 28, 2012 at 2:05 am #

Ryan Gosling isn’t that hot than when he were teen :D and Edward and Jacob umm.. I think I love the slender one :D, your coconut caramel sounds perfect, sweet with salty savory touch from the coconut milk

cheers

9. Seth Keckin February 28, 2012 at 4:20 am #

My favorite is caramel chocolate :;)

10. Ozzy Lin February 28, 2012 at 4:48 am #

Sounds so good! coconut and caramel sauce together

11. BigFatBaker February 28, 2012 at 6:59 am #

Lol! I agree that game cracks me up. I am a bigger fan of the phrase…why choose? Have them both! I love this caramel sauce, I want to make it asap and use it for everything. And please, call the wedding planner! The ice cream and sauce must come together asap!

• Jackie February 28, 2012 at 8:49 am #

Exactly! No gun necessary, chocolate and caramel together :)

12. Brighteyedbaker February 28, 2012 at 10:08 am #

Do you think this sauce would work in a latte? With some frothed milk? It sounds delicious:)
    Ordinarily I would pick chocolate but for coffee I say caramel:)

Between Ryan Gosling and Ryan Reynolds, I can’t choose! Hah!

• Jackie February 28, 2012 at 11:38 am #

OOHHHHH, in coffee?? That sounds amazing! Worth a try I guess :) And I would pick Ryan Reynolds, under threat of gun fire.

13. Liz February 28, 2012 at 4:33 pm #

I would pick caramel, too…and your coconut caramel sounds divine!!!

• Jackie February 28, 2012 at 7:34 pm #

YAY! You’re with me, we’re the weirdos who wouldn’t pick chocolate :)

14. Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic February 28, 2012 at 8:33 pm #

I am drooling over this! I recently made coconut granola and I bet it would be perfect with some ice cream and this heavenly sauce. Yum!
    Oh and Gosling vs Reynolds is a VERY difficult decision, but I choose Ryan Gosling :)

15. Maggie @ kitchie coo February 29, 2012 at 7:25 am #

Oh my gosh, this made me laugh so hard! You’re a funny one. I am going to be thinking about this post all day when I have to make some major decision, you know, like what to have for lunch! :-)
    Now, I am not usually a huge caramel fan, but if you add coconut to anything I will go gaga over it. This is drool-worthy for sure.

16. Julia February 29, 2012 at 9:23 am #

Coconut is MY FAVORITE! That is what I would choose with or without a gun every time. I have coconut milk in my fridge and this looks delicious! I’ll def try it. Also, just read your new post (loving the coconut and caramel kick) and Samoas are totally my favorite too. Girl scouts sell them in all the subway (T) stations here in boston so it’s impossible to not buy them every time i go anywhere.

Also Ryan Gosling for sure. Have you seen Lars and the Real Girl?? maybe the cutest movie of all time…

• Jackie February 29, 2012 at 9:41 am #

That is an adorable movie! I saw clips of it when I was in Grad school for my masters in Psych. Everyone in the class was either a woman or a gay man so we were all dreamy eyed by the end, going. “aaaaahhhh, so cute.”

17. Tiffany@www.comowater.com March 4, 2012 at 2:42 pm #

These action shots are making my mouth water!

18. Baking Serendipity March 5, 2012 at 6:47 pm #

I think I would choose caramel too :) Caramel macchiatos are my go-to Starbucks drink. I’ve never paired it with coconut before…definite must-do!

19. Asmita March 6, 2012 at 9:43 am #

The sauce looks wonderful and would be great with vanilla ice cream or even drizzled on some figs. If I had a gun to my head, I would have to choose chocolate. Can’t do without it.

20. Denise March 6, 2012 at 10:03 am #

Caramel on my ice cream over chocolate on my ice cream. Definitely. But I would never skip a piece of chocolate. Sigh, difficult choice. Anyway: I love this caramel sauce. I’ve never thought of combining it with coconut, but that’s such a great idea!

21. Monr Beats March 12, 2012 at 8:13 pm #

I you could compare this from the other caramel sauce, you will won the best post ever

22. Ariella Christman March 17, 2012 at 3:00 pm #

Great post! Thank you!

23. wakanetwork April 9, 2012 at 8:33 pm #

Great for toast!

24. Zoe Gillenwater September 26, 2012 at 1:43 pm #

I too would choose caramel over chocolate. I’ve been crazy for salted caramel this last year or so. And I’m also crazy for coconut!

Do you think this would work with fake butter to make it vegan?

• Jackie September 26, 2012 at 11:09 pm #

I think it would be OK, you could also leave it out all together.