How To: Make Pickled Jalapenos

Jalapeno Peppers3

Jalapenos are abundant right now, but that’ll change very soon, when fall starts to chill the fields. I love the brightness of fresh jalapenos, but pickled jalapenos are a staple. Once I figured out how incredibly easy and cheap it is to make my own, I’ve never gone back. I even learned how to water bath can just so that I could make these in giant batches!

The tricky thing about jalapenos is that the heat level varies wildly, and there is no way to tell how hot an individual pepper is. But the good news is that most of the heat in the jalapeno is in the seeds and the membrane in the middle of the pepper, removing all or some will give you control over the final burn.

Once you have yourself a giant batch of beautifully pickled peppers, there is an enormous amount of uses from quesadillas to burgers, I just can’t get enough.

Pickled Jalapenos

• 15 large jalapenos
  • ¾ cup water
  • ¾ cup vinegar
  • 3 tbs white sugar
  • 2 tbs kosher salt
  • 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced

1. Slice the jalapenos into ¼ inch rings. Remove all or none of the seeds, depending on desired heat level (the more seeds left in the peppers, the higher the heat level).
  2. In a pot over medium high heat, add the water, vinegar, sugar, salt and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until the sugar and salt have dissolved, remove from heat. Allow to cool to room temperature before adding the jalapenos. Place peppers and pickling liquid in an airtight container, such as a canning jar, refrigerate for 4 days and up to three weeks.

Jalapeno Peppers2

17 Responses to How To: Make Pickled Jalapenos

1. Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet August 16, 2013 at 7:05 am #

I can’t believe the perfect timing of your post! I just got tons of jalapenos from my FIL and was going to look for pickled jalapenos recipe. And here it is! Yay! Thanks, Jackie!

2. Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry August 16, 2013 at 2:35 pm #

OMG! This is brilliant.

3. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious August 17, 2013 at 9:57 pm #

As Anna said, perfect timing! Jason and I were in Santa Barbara today eating this amazing California Burrito but they’re pickled jalapenos sucked so we can’t wait to make our own!

4. anna August 19, 2013 at 11:40 am #

Do you think these could be canned?

• Jackie August 19, 2013 at 12:04 pm #

Yes. I canned a huge batch of these using a water bath canning method, worked great.

5. Julie @ Table for Two August 19, 2013 at 5:06 pm #

Pickled jalapenos are the perfect burger topping!! Love this!!

6. Des August 19, 2013 at 10:46 pm #

SHUT UP it is that easy to make pickled jalapenos?!? I am all over this. And I know exactly what you mean about the jalapenos. I’ve had some that are so hot that they made me cry. Then others that made me double check to make sure I didn’t buy a bell pepper instead. I prefer the spice so I always leave the seeds in…what’s a few tears?

7. ashley - Baker by Nature August 20, 2013 at 10:08 am #

Ha! I literally just did this yesterday! Great minds my friend ;)

8. Bree {Skinny Mommy} August 20, 2013 at 1:09 pm #

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE pickled jalapenos! It’s kind of a joke with my friends because at a Mexican restaurant I eat one with every bit of my food. I can’t wait to try to make my own. Great recipe!

9. Barbara August 21, 2013 at 8:41 am #

I also can jalapenos, but my recipe and method are even more simple!
    Clean jalapenos (slice if desired) and pack in quart jars
    Over the top of the jalapenos add 1 1/2 tablespoon of kosher salt
    Fill to rim with white 5% vinegar
    Bring seals to a boil and seal jars.
    Wait 6 weeks and they’re ready to eat!

• Elisabeth August 26, 2013 at 2:18 pm #

How long can you keep these???

• Jackie August 26, 2013 at 2:20 pm #

A really long time in the fridge, months even. If you water bath can them they’ll last years.

10. addie | culicurious August 22, 2013 at 5:38 am #

These look simple and delicious! win!! :)

11. Sarah September 8, 2013 at 9:21 pm #

Yummy!

12. Sally January 11, 2014 at 10:15 am #

Getting ready to make them today, i want to water bath them but not sure how long to let them cook.

1. Things I like Thursday – TILT | Crazy Jamie - September 5, 2013