5 Minute Microwave Berry Cobbler

You might hate me for this. Because, to be honest, I sort of hate myself for this. Unlike those Smarmy Mug Cakes, that we have all been desperate enough to attempt at least once in our lives, this is really good. So good, that I even found myself “recipe testing” it about 17 times in the last month.

You can use frozen berries, if you can’t find them fresh. In California, Strawberries are in season almost all year and I nearly always have them in my fridge. But for the sake of “recipe testing” I used frozen ones and found they work just fine. Obviously, the cooking time is longer, and the water content is higher so it is a bit runnier. But it’s fruit. So that makes it almost like health food….right? Right? (Not really)

5 Minute Microwave Berry Cobbler

• 3/4 cup Strawberries
  • 1/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/3 cup flour
  • 1 tbs white sugar
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tbs butter
  • 2 tbs milk

1. Chop berries and add to a mug. Add powdered sugar, stir to combine.
  2. In a separate bowl, add the flour, white sugar, baking powder and mix to combine. Add the butter and rub in with your fingers until combined. Add the milk and stir (I used my hands for this too, less dishes to wash).
  3. Add the dough to the top of the berries (sprinkle with additional sugar, if desired).
  4. Microwave on high for about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
  5. Allow to cool because this mother will be screaming hot.
  6. *The ratios I used are for a large mason jar mug. This recipe will also make 2 servings in smaller mugs. Make sure to only fill the mug no more than 2/3 full or it will bubble over during "cooking."

, , , , ,

49 Responses to 5 Minute Microwave Berry Cobbler

1. claire @ the realistic nutritionist October 17, 2012 at 9:44 am #

FOR THE WIN. I want to eat that.

2. Averie @ Averie Cooks October 17, 2012 at 10:08 am #

God I am ALL ABOUT a fast, micro, meal or DESSERT, when ever possible. Mug cakes, move over. Cobbler’s in town!

3. Sophie October 17, 2012 at 12:00 pm #

That looks so good! Have you tried using other fruits? I have some apples at home…maybe I will test it out.

• Jackie October 17, 2012 at 12:45 pm #

Other berries should work fine. Apples might need to be microwave for a few minutes before hand to soften them up. Let me know how it goes!

• Clare October 4, 2013 at 5:59 am #

I made it with apples! I did about 3/4 cup thinly sliced apples, brown sugar instead of powdered, tbsp of lemon juice, and cinnamon and cardamon. Then I topped it with the crumble and put it in the micro for about 2 1/2 mins, to make sure the apples cooked. It was delish!

4. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious October 17, 2012 at 3:07 pm #

This looks dangerous! I definitely have to try it when I get home tonight!

5. Cassie October 17, 2012 at 4:49 pm #

I think I’ll make one of these for myself for dessert right now. Amazing!

6. Julie @ Table for Two October 17, 2012 at 5:05 pm #

i love the quick dessert turn around time. it’s dangerous though since it’s so easy to make and it’s ready in a jiffy. perfect portion for 1! :)

7. Nicole @ Lapetitebaker October 17, 2012 at 6:44 pm #

Cobblers are one of my favorite desserts and now with this recipe I can make it in under 5 minutes. I smell trouble.

8. Anna @ hiddenponies October 17, 2012 at 8:25 pm #

Uh oh, I could definitely eat one of these every day. Brilliant.

9. Jane Ko @ A Taste of Koko October 18, 2012 at 12:59 am #

Great idea!

10. jo @ including cake October 18, 2012 at 1:30 am #

Wow, i love the look of this…i love single serve recipes and i so want to have a go at this (i will veganise and de-gluten it) will let you know how it turns out! :-)

11. Rachel Cooks October 18, 2012 at 5:00 am #

Oh my gosh, are you serious? AMAZING.

12. Andrew October 18, 2012 at 5:49 am #

I feel kinda silly asking this, but… Do you think it would still “work” if I omitted the powdered sugar, and used white whole wheat flour for the flour?

• Jackie October 18, 2012 at 9:33 am #

Of course on the flour! The powdered sugar you can omit, but it (obviously) wont be as sweet, but powdered sugar also has corn starch in it which acts as a thickener so it will be runnier. Maybe a tsp or so of whole wheat flour and some maple syrup?

• sky November 11, 2013 at 4:19 pm #

will it work with out the backing powder and with different fruit

• Jackie November 11, 2013 at 5:48 pm #

Any fruit is fine, but the baking time will vary. But it won’t rise without baking powder.

13. ally October 18, 2012 at 6:43 am #

can i get a “genuis!” ??!
    xo

14. Erin October 18, 2012 at 6:49 am #

“Take that mug cake” is right! Saw this on FoodGawker and had to pop over. Looks infinitely better than one of those nasty things. No matter how pretty it looks, how much whipped cream and sprinkles go on top, mug cakes are like chewing on a junkyard rubber tire. Can’t wait to try this.

• Jackie October 18, 2012 at 9:30 am #

Thanks Erin, glad you stopped by!

15. brighteyedbaker October 18, 2012 at 8:32 am #

I’ve always wondered how to make a cobbler-type dessert in the microwave, or in some really quick way. Sometimes I see fresh fruit in the fridge and just think how good it would be if I could make a little cobbler right then and there. Thanks for the recipe!!

16. Baker Street October 18, 2012 at 9:01 am #

I think I’m going to make this as a midnight treat for myself today! sounds fabulous, J!

17. amedar October 18, 2012 at 2:48 pm #

Great web site. A lot of awesome recipes. I’m going to try this one this weekend!

18. Jessica@AKitchenAddiction October 19, 2012 at 7:24 am #

This is perfect! Love how quick and easy it is!

19. RavieNomNoms October 19, 2012 at 1:04 pm #

Hellllloooo fast and delicious looking cobbler! I love it!

20. Sara October 20, 2012 at 7:44 pm #

I JUST finished this! Chased it with a swig of milk out of the mug! It was VERY tasty!!! I had a scant 1/2 cup of frozen, cheap-o blackberries so I diced up a quarter of an Aurora (honey crisp, move over!) apple. I nuked the diced apple for one minute, added berries and a shake of cinnamon. Then I proceeded as directed.

The berries and apple combo was perfect and precooking the apple DID work (for whoever asked about apple)- my only “complaint” is that the berry mix was just a tad too sweet. Probably my bad as there was probably not quite enough fruit and the apple I used tastes like candy by itself.

So good! Try it! Thanks for sharing your awesome ideas with the world, Jackie :)

21. Lynna October 20, 2012 at 11:23 pm #

omg, this is just awesomee!

22. Marta @ What should I eat for breakfast today October 21, 2012 at 12:11 pm #

This is probably the first time when I regret not having a microwave.

23. Ashley - Baker by Nature October 21, 2012 at 4:43 pm #

This is obviously going to be made for breakfast very very soon! You’re brilliant!

24. KiteLover1982 October 21, 2012 at 9:57 pm #

This was wonderful, thanks for the quick and easy recipe!

25. chinmayie @ love food eat October 22, 2012 at 9:51 am #

For once I am glad I don’t own a microwave ;)

26. Stephanie July 31, 2013 at 3:43 pm #

You Do realize this recipe is 473 calories

• Jackie July 31, 2013 at 3:44 pm #

Another great reason it’s not listed under “healthy” I don’t run a diet blog ;)

• Jessie September 8, 2013 at 8:48 am #

You could split the recipe in half and its still a good size. I also used vanilla protein powder instead of the powdered sugar and used half white half whole wheat flour. Delish!

27. Pam October 18, 2013 at 6:21 pm #

Thank you so much for this recipe, it’s perfect! Just the right amount of sweet for after dinner!

28. Ang February 17, 2014 at 7:33 pm #

Quite some time later but I like it better with raspberries and putting some cinnamon in the dough.

29. Nicole February 18, 2014 at 1:21 am #

Just made this but with stoned fruits(plums peach and nectarine)and it’s is ABSOLUTELY scrumptious!!!cant wait to experience with other fruit and flavours :) thanks for this it’s great!!!x

30. Missmere February 23, 2014 at 7:36 pm #

Tried it with frozen mixed berries, nearly 4 min heating, LOVED it

1. Eating Pearls - October 18, 2012

[...] mushroom soup made at home – this is so much tastier, so much healthier than canned stuff. 5 Minute Microwave Berry Cobbler You might hate me for this. Because, to be honest, I sort of hate myself for this. Unlike those [...]

2. My Sweet Tooth - December 29, 2012

[...] did use a recipe from Domestic Fits, but I added in some organic quick oats and a little extra milk.  It tasted pretty amazing!  And [...]

3. Mug Recipes - February 26, 2013

[...] Microwave Berry cobbler from Domestic Fits [...]

4. 85 Single Serving Desserts - Something Swanky - April 6, 2013

[...] 5 Minute Berry Cobbler [...]

5. Strawberry Mug Cobbler | What The Efff - May 22, 2013

[...] get them used up before they went bad. So, I took to Google (as I frequently do!) and tried this Strawberry Mug Cobbler. I’ve made microwave chocolate chip cookies, peanut butter cookies, and brownies with varying [...]

6. Mug Shots | Green Mom in the Burbs - June 17, 2013

[...] Mason Jar Berry Cobbler–this one makes a larger portion, or it can be divided into two mugs. (Or, I guess, halved, right?) [...]

7. Mug Cake Round-Up: Eight of the Best and Worst Microwave Desserts - - July 1, 2013

[...] Domestic Fits [...]

8. The Week's Most Popular Posts: July 1-5, 2013 - - July 6, 2013

[...] Domestic Fits [...]

9. Mug Desserts | Pinning Summer - July 12, 2013

[...] Here is one of the winners, the Berry Cobbler: [...]

10. Making in the Kitchen: Five Best Blackberry Recipes | The Good WeeklyThe Good Weekly - August 26, 2013

[...] berry cobbler in a jar This is a fun recipe I found online and adapted to make just a little [...]

11. 23 Easy and Scrumptious Microwaveable Desserts - December 19, 2013

[...] this single-serve berry cobbler, toss some strawberries and powdered sugar in the bottom of a mug and top with the cobbler mix. [...]