Pig Newton Jam (Bacon & Fig Jam) With Puff Pastry Biscuits

I love forming culinary obsessions. Foods that I can’t stop thinking about, that work their way into my kitchen via said obsession on a regular basis. Maybe you have tired of my bacon jam post, and if that is the case than I can pretty safely assume that you have never made it. It is completely worthy of prolonged obsessions. I promise.

This jam, this lovely spreadably pig and fig hybrid is so good that I beg you to make it. And then you’ll get it.

If I hadn’t already scoured my kitchen and spread this on everything from Trader Joe’s Crisp Chocolate Chip Cookies to stale graham crackers, these are the things that I would have made with this Pig Newton Jam:

Bake shortbread bar cookies + spread jam on top + chill for a few hours + cut into squares = Pig Newton Cookie Bars

Tortilla + Gouda + Bree + PN Jam = Pig Newton Quesadillas

Bake a tart crust in a tart pan (let cool)+ PN Jam + fresh arugula + goat cheese + Fresh tomatoes = Best tart ever

Above ingredients - Tart crust + crusty bread = Pig Newton Crostini’s

PN Jam + Puff Pastry + Wheel of Bree cheese = Baked Pig Newton Bree

Crepes + PN Jam + Mascarpone = Breakfast Hog Heaven

I know that I have friends and readers who don’t dig the pig, so I’ve added a How To Veg It Up alterations to this post.

Pig Newton Jam (Bacon & Fig Jam)

Pig Newton Jam (Bacon & Fig Jam)

• 12 Black Mission figs
  • 5 strips of bacon
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 tbs honey
  • 2 tbs red wine vinegar
  • 1/4 cup cooking sherry
  • 1 tbs balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp salt

1. In a pot with a lid, like an enamel dutch oven, cook the bacon until browned. Remove bacon and set aside. Drain off all of the bacon fat except about 1 tbs. Return pot to the heat and add remaining ingredients, bring to a simmer. Chop bacon and add to the pot.
  2. Reduce heat to maintain a low simmer. Place the lid at an angle to vent and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until thick and syrupy.
  3. Add to a food processor and process until smooth.
  4. *To make vegan, replace the bacon with 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, 5 additional fig and 1 tsp olive oil.

Puff Pastry Biscuits

1 sheet puff pastry, thawed

2 tbs butter, melted

1 tsp salt

Roll the puff pastry on a lightly floured surface several times in each direction. Cut out 20 to 24 circles with a 3 inch biscuit cutter (note that circles will shrink as they cook). Place circles on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Brush the circles with melted butter and sprinkle with salt.

Bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes or until light golden brown. Split across the middle, fill with jam.

, , , , , ,

18 Responses to Pig Newton Jam (Bacon & Fig Jam) With Puff Pastry Biscuits

1. Blog is the New Black July 25, 2012 at 2:14 am #

oooooh, love this idea for a jam- and the name!

2. Baker Street July 25, 2012 at 2:30 am #

bacon and fig is such a fantastic combination for a jam! And I LOVE the name. :)

3. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious July 25, 2012 at 5:17 am #

Loving the changes you made to the website. it looks great! And this pig newton jam is genius! I’d love to slather this on my toast!

• Jackie July 26, 2012 at 5:38 pm #

Thank you! It was all Andrew (website, not the jam) he’s the best. And I pretty much put this stuff on everything.

4. Bree July 25, 2012 at 7:21 am #

How creative! Looks divine :)

5. Gerry @ Foodness Gracious July 25, 2012 at 9:02 am #

Ha! Pig and fig sounds like a pub from back home :) Great appetizer idea!
    Cheers..

6. Andrew | the fatty chalupa July 25, 2012 at 5:10 pm #

Dear Lord this looks absolutely amazing… I’m tempted to add some caramelized onions when I make this.

7. Baking Serendipity July 25, 2012 at 6:02 pm #

This title alone just makes me smile :) I’ve never made a biscuit from puff pastry before, but love the idea!

8. Nick F. July 25, 2012 at 6:42 pm #

Two of my favorite things, brilliant. I have to ask though – did you think up “Pig Newton” or is it a reference to comedian Louis C.K.? If you’re unaware, “Pig Newton” is the name of his production company, named after a story he told about his youngest daughter (available here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOE_MGaWwQE if you’re fine with some harsh language :) )

• Jackie July 25, 2012 at 6:48 pm #

I encourage harsh language. I’ve never heard of that production company, but I would have been shocked if I was the first to think of the name.

9. claire @ the realistic nutritionist July 26, 2012 at 9:07 am #

oh my godddd. hahahaha. this looks amazing.

10. Marilyn Collins July 26, 2012 at 11:57 am #

My friend showed me this….got quite a laugh out of it…..I agree, everything is better with bacon, but my pet hog is named Pig Newton.

• Jackie July 26, 2012 at 5:41 pm #

I love that! I grew up on a farm and I named my pig “Piggy Smalls” because nothing says gangster rap like a white girl on a farm ;)

11. Colleen, The Smart Cookie Cook July 26, 2012 at 5:46 pm #

Pig Newton Jam haha I love it! Is it wrong that I want this even though I’m vegetarian? All the variations you listed sound good to me!

12. fatpiginthemarket July 27, 2012 at 4:24 pm #

Pig Newton is quite possibly the best name for a recipe…ever! Now I have the theme song that used to play on fig newton commercials stuck in my head.

13. Ginger Smith September 27, 2012 at 2:17 pm #

This is delicious. It takes everything up a notch. I made one small change. Since I had some fig balsamic on hand, I replaced all of the vinegar with it. It was super figgy!

14. Judith January 26, 2013 at 1:58 pm #

Can you make this with dried figs or do you have to make it with fresh figs? I have long been an admirer but never cooked with them. Advice welcomed ]from you and/or your followers. Thank you for your site.

• Jackie January 26, 2013 at 2:39 pm #

You can, just add a little more liquid if it thickens too quickly.