Red Rover Blood Orange and Bourbon Cocktail

Do you ever get wrong number phone calls?

I’m a bit of a magnet for them, even though I’ve had my current cell phone number since I was a teenager.

I get the same woman calling me about once a month, and we always have the same conversation. Although I don’t know for sure what she looks like, in my head she is an older African-American woman, in a floral bathrobe sitting at a vintage oak dinning table sipping Taster Choice out of an old mug.

Red Rover Bourbon Blood Orange Cocktail_

This was our most recent conversation:

My phone rings, I know it’s her.

Me: “Hello!”

Her: “Oh…Um…do I have the right number?”

Me: “Honey, you’ve called me every month for the past two years and this still isn’t the right number.”

Her, laughing: “Girl! Haha! Do I really? Aren’t you a sweetheart! Why you keep takin’ my calls?!”

Me: “Because if I don’t answer you just keep calling! Plus, I’ve gotten used to this.”

Her: “You are so sweet! You’re my girl. I won’t call you again, I promise! So nice to talk to you again.”

Me: ” Ok, hon. Talk to you next month.”

And I hope I do.

Red Rover Bourbon Blood Orange Cocktail 2

Somehow, a wrong number has turned from something that was an irritation into something I look forward to. And it was this conversation that I though about when my husband decided to put ginger in my cocktail. I’ve never liked ginger, it always just served as a bit of color on my sushi plate, or the stuff I would pick out of a salad.

And then this cocktail happened, and I decided to fall in love with ginger when it’s mixed with bourbon. The way I now look forward to my wrong number calls from Mrs. Tasters Choice.

My husband invented this beautiful drink, and it’s amazing in that get-this-away-from-me-or-I-will-drink-an-entire-pitcher kind of way. The bourbon, blood orange and ginger just meld in a perfect way that makes you wonder where this drink has been your whole life. To be honest, I cringed a bit when my husband started to grate the fresh ginger into the glass. But paired with the bourbon, it has more of a ginger ale taste that is really lovely, completely compliments and brings together all the other flavors.

Red Rover

Makes one cocktail, but you'll want to make more

• 2 oz burbon
  • 1 ½ oz blood orange juice
  • ½ lemon juice
  • 1 ¼ simple syrup
  • 4 oz ginger ale
  • Garnish with fresh ginger, grated with a microplane or zester

1. Add bourbon, blood orange juice, lemon juice and simple syrup to a cocktail shaker, shake gently.
  2. Add ginger ale and stir to combine.
  3. Pour into a glass filled with ice. Garnish with fresh ginger (don't be shy, it's really good)

Red Rover Bourbon Blood Orange Cocktail 4

36 Responses to Red Rover Blood Orange and Bourbon Cocktail

1. RavieNomNoms February 4, 2013 at 10:41 am #

Oh I am book marking this one!! Bourbon is my drink of choice, I feel like this would be bad news for me!

• Jackie February 4, 2013 at 3:50 pm #

I don’t drink a lot of heard liquor, but I do love a good bourbon cocktail.

2. Averie @ Averie Cooks February 4, 2013 at 12:59 pm #

Omg I want this drink just b/c you said this “it’s amazing in that get-this-away-from-me-or-I-will-drink-an-entire-pitcher kind of way”. That’s how I feel about the rum runner drink I recently posted…it’s crazy good. And this looks like a version on that theme w/ bourbon. Love it!

• Jackie February 4, 2013 at 3:51 pm #

Those are the best AND worst kind of cocktails!

3. Cassie | Bake Your Day February 4, 2013 at 2:19 pm #

I love you attitude about life, Jackie. You are an inspiration!

• Jackie February 4, 2013 at 3:51 pm #

Awwww, thanks Cassie :)

4. claire @ the realistic nutritionist February 4, 2013 at 2:48 pm #

HAHAHAH!! That’s so sweet :)

5. Tori February 4, 2013 at 3:39 pm #

Cute story! And the cocktail looks fab. I actually love ginger, in moderation. Ginger ale is one of my favorite drinks. :)

• Jackie February 4, 2013 at 3:53 pm #

After this, I now know what I’m missing! I’m open to trying it in more things now, I think I just got so turned off by overly sweet ginger candy that I’ve avoided it for years.

6. ashley - baker by nature February 4, 2013 at 3:43 pm #

You have such a sweet personality, Jackie! And this cocktail sounds killer!

7. Julie @ Table for Two February 4, 2013 at 5:32 pm #

OMG. Let’s not even BEGIN to talk about wrong numbers. For the past MONTH, I’ve been getting this same collect call number dialing me. EVERY DAY 3-4 TIMES A DAY. I’m at wits end. I literally want to change my number because of them. Speaking of which, this cocktail would be SO GOOD right now because guess what? Yup, that number JUST dialed me..eff!

8. steph@stephsbitebybite February 4, 2013 at 6:22 pm #

Oh I can’t wait until I can have alcohol again!! Saving this to my After Baby Booze list :)

9. Maddy February 4, 2013 at 6:36 pm #

I precisely needed a cocktail for my valentines day party! I love this. WIll be making it for sure.

10. Bellenza Wedding Bistro February 4, 2013 at 6:52 pm #

Looks deliciously like a signature drink for a rustic wedding!

11. Anna @ Hidden Ponies February 4, 2013 at 9:19 pm #

Lol, that’s hilarious! I love your image of her in the floral bathrobe :)

12. Jen @ Savory Simple February 5, 2013 at 6:08 am #

This looks so good! I’ve never had the same person repeatedly call but nothing cracks me up more than wrong number texts. Though there was one time I got pissy about it with a guy who repeatedly sent me group texts at all hours even though I keep responding “wrong number.”

13. Gerry @ Foodness Gracious February 5, 2013 at 6:36 am #

Ginger can be harsh but also amazing, sounds like you took the amazing route!

14. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious February 5, 2013 at 6:57 am #

Haha love it! I can’t believe you’ve developed such a fun relationship with this woman. It’s really cute.

And this cocktail – yeah, it’s Tuesday morning, 7AM and I desperately need a glass of this.

15. Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet February 5, 2013 at 7:11 am #

You are such a sweetie, Jackie! :) And this cocktail looks amazing!

16. Liz February 5, 2013 at 11:01 am #

I have always loved ginger, so this beautiful cocktail sounds especially appealing!

PS…a local dry cleaner accidentally printed our phone # on their invoices! Our #s are very similar, but it wasn’t so fun fielding the overdue invoice phone calls by ticked off customers. I’m sure I still have credit at their business given due to their error. Crazy!

17. Sara February 5, 2013 at 2:30 pm #

Where you find those fun, Rockwellian straws?

18. a farmer in the dell February 5, 2013 at 2:30 pm #

Now this is my kind of cocktail! We had a similar cocktail served at our wedding. Yum!

19. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies February 5, 2013 at 5:35 pm #

I get lots of wrong number calls too–the best is when they leave long, rambling voicemails, despite that fact that my message starts with “You’ve reached Kiersten.” And I loooove me some ginger, so this sounds like perfection to me!

20. Meghan February 5, 2013 at 6:56 pm #

Very cute story & this drinks looks awesome! Wish I had one right now – can’t wait to try it!

21. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. February 5, 2013 at 10:01 pm #

Oh gosh, what a funny story!! Hope you will hear from her again soon!

Another perfect blood orange drink! It looks so refreshing!

22. constance c February 7, 2013 at 6:24 pm #

This looks so good! and your photos are so beautiful.

23. Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen February 12, 2013 at 12:30 pm #

I kept getting a wrong number phone call last night and the woman was so insistent that she had the right number I was the one who was wrong….so strange.

This drink has my name written all over it….yum!!

24. Jen February 13, 2013 at 4:21 am #

Nice recipe! My boyfriend and I made it and it was aaaaamazing! I love it, wish I could order it at bars.

25. wanda Brown February 18, 2013 at 8:22 am #

Thanks for the marvelous cocktail! I really enjoyed it. have a nice day!

26. yolanda February 19, 2013 at 6:38 pm #

It’s going to be finish of my week for a while! perfect friday night cocktail

27. brandi February 22, 2013 at 7:43 am #

well, i could take a pitcher of this tonight.

bourbon + ginger ale/ginger beer is one of my favorite, favorite drinks ever. and with blood orange? i need to make this.

28. nirvana brown March 5, 2013 at 2:30 pm #

Oh my goodness! Want!

29. Sockmonkeys Kitchen March 15, 2013 at 3:14 pm #

Yes, I do believe I’ll have one with you =0)
    PS: love the story! I actually miss my wrong-number Grandma that used to call me somewhat often, and start every sentence with, “Diane, I wanted to tell you something… last week…”

I would always say, “Oh honey, I’m not Diane – I believe you’ve dialed wrong.” To which she would almost always reply, “Oh dear! Well, do tell Diane I said hello. Thank you, goodbye”.

1. vegan valentine drinks and desserts | Love Without Handles - February 13, 2013

[...] via Domestic Fits. [...]