Baked Apple Rings: Healthy Indulgence

Another healthy post! We have to have ways to indulge and still enjoy. Of course, after I made these little 35 calorie rings of goodness, I smothered them in caramel sauce. Not quite as healthy. I had some leftover from Thanksgiving, so it was more like recycling.

These are also a great treat for kids.

Or, a great dessert to bring to a party so that you will keep your grubby little hands off the chocolate tray, but still have somethings to snack on.

Only 35 calories each. And even if you eat an entire apple, all by yourself, it’s only 160 calories. But you should probably stop there. Just sayin’

Baked Apple Rings

5 medium sized fuji apples, peeled cored and cut into 1/2 inch slices

1/3 cup flour

1/4 cup Panko bread crumbs

2 tbs sugar

1 tbs cinnamon

1 tsp nutmeg

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 cup skim milk

1 large egg

1/2 tsp real vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 400.

In a bowl combine the flour, Panko, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt, stir with a fork until well combined. In a separate bowl, combine the milk, egg and vanilla extract with a fork until well combined.

Spray a baking sheet with butter flavored cooking spray.

Place one of the apple rings in the milk mixture and into the flour mixture. Turn the ring over, coat well with the flour mixture. Place on the baking sheet. Repeat for all slices.

Bake at 400 for 15 minutes. Turn the rings over and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Serve warm.

11 Responses to Baked Apple Rings: Healthy Indulgence

1. Jenn@Baking Jenn's Blog December 2, 2011 at 5:58 pm #

OMG! I want these NOW! Just saved this recipe…it sounds so good!

2. Kim Bee December 2, 2011 at 9:07 pm #

Oh these look so delicious. I love that you drizzled caramel all over them. I am all for taking something good and adding a little edge to it. Looks fantastic!

3. Sandra's Easy Cooking December 2, 2011 at 9:44 pm #

I completely agree with Kim! This look extraordinary! Love your recipe and mouthwatering photos!!

4. jules @ bananamondaes December 3, 2011 at 2:10 pm #

What a lovely recipe. Great snack idea.

5. chinmayie @ love food eat December 4, 2011 at 6:47 pm #

These look perfect! Do they turn crispy on the outside?

• Jackie December 5, 2011 at 10:45 am #

Not really, but that is the compromise if you go with baked over fried! Much healthier, but not very crispy.

6. Maggie December 5, 2011 at 9:26 pm #

I can’t wait to make these with all the cheap apples I have been getting! I am loving all your ideas…it makes me miss you so:)

• Jackie December 6, 2011 at 12:30 pm #

Oh Mags! I miss you too, it’s been WAY too long :)

7. Jen at The Three Little Piglets December 10, 2011 at 12:24 pm #

That is such a great idea! I’ve made tons of dried apple slices, but it never occurred to me to add stuff to the top!

8. Carol November 7, 2012 at 5:35 pm #

I ran across a recipe you had on FB, now I’m looking at your recipes, I’m gluten intolerant and would love to make so many of these, can you suggest anything instead of the flour or have you tried anything else besides flour on your recipes, or do you have any that are gluten free~