I’m a breakfast girl. I’m also an avocado girl. So when California Avocado Commission asked me something along the lines of: "Hey Jackie, wanna come to a fancy schmany Beverly Hills restaurant and have a schmancy chef make you Breakfast For Dinner? Oh and you get to make cocktails with avocados," My answer didn’t require much debate.
Schamncy Chef Neal did an outstanding job feeding Los Angeles bloggers an array of Avocado Breakfast foods. They even sent us home with a goodie bag that included a bag of avocados and a cutting board. AND if that doesn’t sound great to you, you’re probably not a food blogger. We seem to have an unreasonable affinity for bags of produce and cutting boards.
I also have a great love of the Eggs Benedict (I’m probably an old man, given the love I also have for stout beer and cable knits) but after waitressing my way through college, working the early shift at a breakfast joint, I’ll never be able to eat hollandaise at a restaurant (if you read this book, you’ll also know why). Because of these two things, I tend to make it myself about once a month. Add the creaminess of an avocado and I’ll lick it right out of the blender and don’t you try and stop me.
BLT Eggs Benedict with Avocado Hollandaise
- 1 large ripe California avocado, diced
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 tbs butter
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- pinch each of salt, pepper and cayenne
- 4 English muffins, split and toasted
- 8 slices tomatoes
- ½ cup baby arugula
- 8 strips bacon, cooked
- 8 eggs, poached
- Yield 8 (4 to 8 servings depending on serving preference)
- Add the diced avocado to a blender or food processor, process until smooth.
- Add the egg yolks and process until well combined.
- Heat the butter in a microwave safe bowl until very hot.
- While the food processor is running, slowly add the melted butter until well combined. Add the lemon juice, salt, pepper and cayenne, process to combine.
- Add the English muffins to a plate, cut sides up. Top each half with a slice of tomato, a few leaves of arugula, bacon, and a poached egg.
- Spoon avocado hollandaise over eggs. Serve immediately.