Tater Tot Burger with Sriracha Sour Cream

Tater Tot Burgers with Sriracha Sour Cream

If I have a guilty-pleasure-trash-food-first-love-can’t-believe-I’m-admitting-this food, it’s tater tots. I own a deep fryer that has produced more tater tots than all other foods combined. I even created a Tater Tot Cone Holder for use at parties for my Tater Tot Bar with Accompanying Sauces.

We all have Ore-ida, the inventor of tater tots, to thank for the best of all bad foods. And although they make a fabulous version (it is the original after all) I tend to favor the Trader Tots from Trader Joe’s. Either way, turning them into The Best Veggie Patty Of All Times is a great idea. No meat eater on the planet will complain about this meatless burger.

Tater Tot Burgers2

Tater Tot Burger with Sriracha Sour Cream

Yield: 4 burgers

• 2 cups tater tots (thawed if frozen)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • ¼ cup Italian style breadcrumbs
  • 2 tbs olive oil
  • sliced cheddar cheese
  • 4 hamburger buns
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 2 tsp sriracha

1. In a large bowl add the tater tots, eggs, onion powder, and breadcrumbs. Using a potato masher, mash and stir until well combined.
  2. Form into 4 well compacted patties.
  3. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
  4. Gently place the patties in the skillet, allowing to brown before gently flipping.
  5. Add the cheddar cheese and cook until melted.
  6. Transfer to buns.
  7. Mix together the sour cream and sriracha.
  8. Top burgers with sriracha sour cream prior to serving.

Sriracha Sour Cream adapted from The Sriracha Cookbook. Buy it. Right now. For real.

Tater Tot Burgers3

, ,

39 Responses to Tater Tot Burger with Sriracha Sour Cream

1. Averie @ Averie Cooks September 2, 2013 at 1:39 am #

No shame in admitting to lovin’ tater tots. I do too. I have a cheesy sour cream dip recipe made with them. Love your burger idea!

2. Gerry @ foodness gracious September 2, 2013 at 5:56 am #

My name is Gerry and I’m a tater tot lover…there, I admitted it! This should be my lunch today!

3. Jen @ Savory Simple September 2, 2013 at 5:59 am #

Oh what I wouldn’t give to have this right now.

4. Cassie | Bake Your Day September 2, 2013 at 6:19 am #

Holy cow, the best veggie burger EVER. I love tater tots too and I have no shame in admitting it. Great idea!

5. addie | culicurious September 2, 2013 at 5:50 pm #

Oh these sound divine, Jackie. I love double starches. Especially with cheese :) YUM!

6. Julie @ Table for Two September 2, 2013 at 7:05 pm #

Whoa, best veggie burger on the planet! So genius!!

7. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious September 2, 2013 at 9:18 pm #

TJ’s tater tots are the best! And that sriracha sour cream – GENIUS! I’m coming over for these burgers before I move to SF! :)

8. Sarah | The Sugar Hit September 2, 2013 at 9:26 pm #

What the WHAT?!?! This is genius. Thank goodness you’re using your powers for good.

9. Des September 2, 2013 at 10:26 pm #

Holy. Tater tots. I LOVE tater tots. They are (gasp!) so much better than french fries! I love what you’ve done here. It looks fantastic!

10. Tieghan September 3, 2013 at 5:47 am #

Um wow! This is so incredible and my family would love me if I made these burgers! An there is not even meat in them! So awesome and the sriracha sauce is the perfect topper!

11. ashley - Baker by Nature September 3, 2013 at 9:55 am #

What the whaaaaat? This is pure genius, lady! Must make… like now!

12. Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry September 3, 2013 at 10:31 am #

Yea this burger is like pure gold! LOVE IT.

13. Sara September 3, 2013 at 3:25 pm #

My mom used to play golf with grand daughter of the guy who invented these! I used this few degree separation to justify any and all of my consumption. And since you basically know me, you can also. Ill allow it ;). I feel like I could eat these sans bun avec runny egg!

• Jackie September 3, 2013 at 3:41 pm #

Yes to runny egg and avocado! Times a thousand!

14. Jackie September 3, 2013 at 11:51 pm #

Oooh, you’re the devil/temptress, but I am loving you for this recipe!!! :D Going out to buy some tots now so that I can make this! At 12 in the morning! Thank you so much for coming up with this awesomeness.

15. RavieNomNoms September 4, 2013 at 12:19 pm #

I cannot believe I just saw this!! YUMMMM!! I want this for my afternoon snack/dinner haha

16. Megan {Country Cleaver} September 4, 2013 at 8:56 pm #

I am an S to the Ucker for tots. No judgements here – just slide me one of these sliders!!

17. Valerie September 5, 2013 at 1:14 pm #

I too have an ongoing love affair with greasy spoon/diner food – ever since those late-night, early morning college days…

This burger makes me nostalgic, and happy, and extremely hungry!! :)

18. julianaloh @bilbaobab September 6, 2013 at 6:57 am #

this looks amazing!!! Sriracha and sour cream, i usually have sriracha wings with yogurt and I’m trying this new recipe out! Thank you for sharing! I’m salivating reading through this post!

19. Monique @ Ambitious Kitchen September 6, 2013 at 8:41 am #

Genius!

20. lynn @ the actor's diet September 6, 2013 at 1:34 pm #

I want to kiss you.

21. Jenna @ DeliciousDaydreams September 7, 2013 at 6:58 am #

Tater tots can do no wrong. Also, kudos for putting them on a bun. Mmmmmmmmm, tots. :)

22. Jenna @ DeliciousDaydreams September 7, 2013 at 6:58 am #

23. Valerie | From Valerie's Kitchen September 9, 2013 at 10:03 am #

I’m a life long lover of tater tots and I’m not afraid to admit it. Perfect football food!

24. Kari@Loaves n Dishes September 9, 2013 at 6:36 pm #

Carbs (fried at that) inside of more carbs! My kind of comforting, need a nap after consuming, kind of burger!

25. C Jones September 10, 2013 at 8:38 am #

I was wondering if you have any solutions to making this without Sriracha sauce? My daughter won’t eat spicy foods and I can’t. I know substituting it for something else won’t have the same effect but the idea intrigued me enough to try it but I don’t know what would work best for our tastes. Is the Sriracha sauce just to make it spicy? Thanks for the great idea!

• Jackie September 10, 2013 at 10:30 am #

I would add 1/2 tsp garlic powder and 1/4 tsp smoked paprika to the sour cream instead of the Sriracha.

• C Jones September 10, 2013 at 10:53 am #

Thanks so much!

26. Emanuel September 12, 2013 at 4:52 am #

THIS IS SO GOOD! I noticed that the patties are fragile like crab cakes, but once cooked stay together pretty well. and SOOOO GOOOD

27. Kim October 5, 2013 at 2:38 pm #

These are really good and really easy! I have several veggie burger fails under my belt, so I was skeptical, but these came out fantastic! My kids loved them as well. I’m going to try them with sweet potato tots next to see what happens :)

28. sowmya October 29, 2013 at 2:24 am #

I love burgers.. this one is mouthwatering .. sriracha and sour cream sounds like an interesting combo

29. Brooke (Crackers on the Couch) July 2, 2014 at 10:27 pm #

Holy fudge. This looks so good I could curse!

1. Stuff I've Gotta Share and You've Gotta See | Recipe Girl - September 3, 2013

[…] so we’ll be watching.  I spotted this unique recipe this week from the blog, Domestic Fits: Tater Tot Burgers with Sriracha Sour Cream and had to share it.  There is absolutely no burger in this tater tot burger- the burger part is […]

2. Sifted: Secret Ingredient Cookies, Football Fare + More | Cooking Bookmarks - September 4, 2013

[…] heard of a tater tot burger? Neither had we. But with football starting this week, it just may be the perfect time to try this […]

3. The Weekend Agenda | Cool Material - September 6, 2013

[…] 4 EAT THIS: Tater Tot Burger w/ Sriracha Sour Cream – Domestic Fits […]

4. Five Things Friday 10/25/13. | - October 25, 2013

[…] 4. Tator Tot Burger with Sriracha Sour Cream from Domestic Fits. […]

5. Saturday Sites: Week Three | Forbidden Rice Blog - January 18, 2014

[…] Although I am not a burger kind of lady, these tater tot burgers look easy and sound like they’d go over pretty well around […]

6. 27 Heartbreakingly Beautiful Ways To Eat Tater Tots | Sharing Interesting Stuff, Updates News & Free Tips - May 10, 2014

[…] domesticfits.com […]