If I have a guilty-pleasure-trash-food-first-love-can’t-believe-I’m-admitting-this food, it’s tater tots. I own a deep fryer that has produced more tater tots than all other foods combined. I even created a Tater Tot Cone Holder for use at parties for my Tater Tot Bar with Accompanying Sauces.
We all have Ore-ida, the inventor of tater tots, to thank for the best of all bad foods. And although they make a fabulous version (it is the original after all) I tend to favor the Trader Tots from Trader Joe’s. Either way, turning them into The Best Veggie Patty Of All Times is a great idea. No meat eater on the planet will complain about this meatless burger.
- 2 cups tater tots (thawed if frozen)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ¼ cup Italian style breadcrumbs
- 2 tbs olive oil
- sliced cheddar cheese
- 4 hamburger buns
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tsp sriracha
- In a large bowl add the tater tots, eggs, onion powder, and breadcrumbs. Using a potato masher, mash and stir until well combined.
- Form into 4 well compacted patties.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Gently place the patties in the skillet, allowing to brown before gently flipping.
- Add the cheddar cheese and cook until melted.
- Transfer to buns.
- Mix together the sour cream and sriracha.
- Top burgers with sriracha sour cream prior to serving.
Sriracha Sour Cream adapted from The Sriracha Cookbook. Buy it. Right now. For real.