Skinny Potato Skins: 62 Calories

I’m not going to sit here and pretend that these are as good as the real thing. Those potato skins loaded up with bacon, sour cream and cheese that are somewhere around 62 calories per bite. But these make a great lunch durring my “I am GOING to lose those final 3 pounds” week. And they reheat really well, so you can make a batch on Sunday, and reheat them through out the week for lunch. With a side of this salad.

I’ve run the numbers and have come up with 62 calories each potato half, but that completely depends on the size of your potato and the amount of flesh you scoop out of it.

My Husband added fat free sour cream and shredded cheese. If you add a tbs of fat free sour cream and a tsp of shredded part skim mozzarella cheese, it will about double the calories in the potato. But, if you like it more and that will make you eat less, it may be worth it.

Also, this dish is:

Gluten Free

Vegan

Kosher for Passover

Skinny jeans friendly

Skinny Potato Skins

4 large red potatoes

1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced, stem removed

1 large yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced, stem removed

2 cups sliced crimini mushrooms

2 cloves of garlic, chopped

olive oil cooking spray

2 tbs Smart Balance Light, melted

1 1/2 tbs or Fajita Seasonings

(Or: 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp chili powder)

1/2 cup Pico De Gallo (or you fav salsa)

Preheat oven to 400.

Pierce the potatoes a few times with a fork and microwave on high for 5-7 minutes or until cooked through. Remove and allow to cool until enough to handle. Cut in half and scoop out most of the insides, leaving about 1/4 inch of the walls in tact. You can save the potato middles for mashed potatoes or potato cakes.

Place thinly sliced bell peppers, mushrooms, and garlic on a baking sheet. Spray lightly with olive oil cooking spray and sprinkle with fajita seasoning (or the homemade blend) and toss to coat.

Roast the vegetables in the oven for 15 minutes or until soft and the mushrooms have browned, tossing every 5-8 minutes with a heat safe spatula.

Place the skins on a baking sheet and brush the insides with melted smart balance light, sprinkle with salt. Bake at 400 for 10 minutes, allow to cool slightly.

Fill each potato skin with fajita veggies and top with Pico De Gallo.

Pin This Post!

Like Domestic Fits on Facebook

, , , , , , , , ,

18 Responses to Skinny Potato Skins: 62 Calories

1. Purabi Naha March 28, 2012 at 12:43 am #

What an awesome picture! Would love to try out this mouth-watering dish!

2. Blog is the New Black March 28, 2012 at 2:08 am #

Healthier versions are never “as” good, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t good in their own right!

3. Maggie @ kitchie coo March 28, 2012 at 9:54 am #

Oh my gosh, these are so adorable!! I love your photos of the potato in that cute little bowl. I could gobble that right up! sounds like you’re holding up to your skinny recipe promise. Love this one too!

4. Deanna March 28, 2012 at 11:26 am #

Yum! I always have a bag of hollowed out potato skins in the freezer. I’ll have to make these the next time a craving strikes.

• Jackie March 29, 2012 at 3:33 pm #

You are brilliant! Such a great idea for unexpected entertaining.

5. cassie March 28, 2012 at 12:00 pm #

These sound so good. The fajita seasoning is a great touch!

6. Colleen Bierstine March 28, 2012 at 4:15 pm #

Mmm how cute and delicious! I love that they’re low-cal, especially since I’m a starch fiend!

7. Baker Street March 29, 2012 at 2:12 am #

Only 62 calories?! Wow! adding fajita seasoning was a lovely idea.

8. chinmayie @ love food eat March 29, 2012 at 5:38 am #

Yum! That looks so colorful and flavorful! I can eat LOTs of these to make up for the missing calories ;)

9. amy @ fearless homemaker March 29, 2012 at 6:50 am #

wow, i think these look fabulous, even if they aren’t the same as the original ‘bar food’ version. frankly, these look even better to me than those, but i’m a weird veggie-lover like that. =)

10. claire @ the realistic nutritionist March 29, 2012 at 10:58 am #

Freaking DELICIOUS!! Love these Jackie!

11. Bree April 2, 2012 at 11:57 am #

Love this idea!

12. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious April 2, 2012 at 9:40 pm #

My post today is on potato skins too! Although mine isn’t a skinny version at all, which is making me feel like a fat-ass now haha

I love your skinny version though, probably more than my version. The fajita toppings are just drawing me in!

13. Tiffany@comowater.com April 3, 2012 at 7:25 am #

Honestly, you had me at vegan! :D

14. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts April 4, 2012 at 1:42 pm #

Yum! I am all about healthy alternatives. They are never as good, but if they were then none of us would have to lose though few pounds!

15. BigFatBaker April 5, 2012 at 6:30 pm #

Ooh these look really tasty! They are a dish that needs to be lightened up sometimes, too. I will have to try these this weekend for the week ahead :)

16. Megan {Country Cleaver} April 9, 2012 at 12:36 pm #

Hooray for minimal guilt guilty-food!! I like the mushroom and pepper additions. Tasty!!

17. Cyndi September 25, 2012 at 8:17 am #

You know, if you want that smoky flavor, you could always finely dice a little canadian bacon onto these. Just an idea.