Strawberry Quinoa Salad

I’ve been eating a lot of quinoa salads ever since I did a guest post for Eating Rules. The post was about the amazingness of quinoa and how to make it the right way, as in not mushy. Andrew, of Eating Rules, posed a challenge to the world at large to give up processed food for one month, and somewhere around 3,000 people have accepted. Could you do it? Could you give up all processed foods for an entire month? You can start small, maybe one week, or maybe one meal per week for a month. How about “Unprocessed Wednesday Night Dinners” for the rest of the year. What is unprocessed? That been quite the discussion, for more information read this. But the short answer is, don’t eat food that has ingredients you don’t (or couldn’t) have in your kitchen. Skip the boxed, frozen, prepackaged, canned and chemical laden foods. Keep the journey from the farm to your table as short as possible. Cook with real, whole vegetables, fresh meats, grains that aren’t labeled “Instant” or “Success” or “Minute” but just: rice or quinoa. Make biscuits from scratch, roast a whole chicken, steam some vegetables, or grill some meat. You can do it. And the less processed foods your family eats, the healthier you’ll all be. For some inspiration to ditch the 37 ingredient bags of food, check out this family who did it and chronicled the highs and the lows.

Strawberry, Goat Cheese and Quinoa Salad

1 cup of quinoa, cooked

1 cup Strawberries, hulled and chopped

3 oz goat cheese, crumbled

½ cup chopped arugula

1 tbs basil, chopped

¼ cup balsamic vinegar

1/8 tsp salt

2 tbs red onions, minced

2 tbs honey

In a bowl add the quinoa, strawberries, goat cheese, basil, arugula and toss combine.  In a separate bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, salt, onions and honey. Drizzle the balsamic mixture over the quinoa/strawberry mixture and toss to coat. Serve immediately.

(Makes 2 large salads, or 4 small side dish salads.)

25 Responses to Strawberry Quinoa Salad

1. Sunithi October 14, 2011 at 10:22 am #

Am a connoisseur of salads and this one is soo super inviting ..not to mention healthy … I ‘m going to grab the ingredients on the way home and make it for dinner !! Lovely:)

• Jaxie October 14, 2011 at 10:37 am #

Great! Hope you enjoy =)

2. Krystal R October 14, 2011 at 12:49 pm #

Absolutely gorgeous and sounds heavenly! I love the bowl here! Where did you get it if you don’t mind sharing? ;-)

• Jaxie October 14, 2011 at 3:12 pm #

I’m starting up an online Food Photography Props store, soon (I hope) and I hope that I will be able to offer these. It’s been SO much work already, but I think I’m about 3 weeks away from launching. I bought both:
      and
      I have both FWD to blogs right now, but I hope to have them (at least one of them) FWD to an active store by mid November.
      Because, apparently, I need MORE things on my plate right now!

3. Jorie October 14, 2011 at 2:00 pm #

I love the sharpness of red onions alongside sweet strawberries and creamy goat cheese. I always need a new salad recipe so I’m in…I’ll definitely try this one!

• Jaxie October 14, 2011 at 3:13 pm #

YAY! Hope you like it =)

4. foodie @ Tasting Spot October 14, 2011 at 2:10 pm #

this sounds great and looks amazing as well

• Jaxie October 14, 2011 at 3:09 pm #

You’re always so sweet!

5. Christine October 14, 2011 at 2:21 pm #

Great salad.

6. Paulette October 14, 2011 at 4:25 pm #

Just a suggestion: Don’t see a “print” button on the page. Would love it if you could provide a printable copy. Yes, I can highlight and print, but it probably won’t be formatted correctly.

• Paulette October 14, 2011 at 4:29 pm #

Addendum: How about # of servings, too? Looks like about 4 to me, but would be nice to know for sure.

• Jaxie October 14, 2011 at 5:30 pm #

It really depends. It ends up being about 3 cups of salad, so as an entree, it’s more like 2. But for a side, you’d be right, about 4. Thanks for noticing that!

• Jaxie October 14, 2011 at 5:34 pm #

I have been meaning to do that. Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll try to do that from now on.

7. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. October 14, 2011 at 5:22 pm #

Quinoa, goat cheese, and strawberries, you’ve won me over! I will take a big bowl of this right now please!

8. Simone October 16, 2011 at 9:58 am #

Funny as I’ve always been all into quinoa lately and will in fact have a delicious quinoa salad on my blog tomorrow.. :) I do find with packaged and processed foods that the less I eat of them the more reluctant I am to go back to using them. I just don’t like the flavors anymore…! This quinoa salad sounds delicious too!

• Jaxie October 18, 2011 at 11:43 am #

Thank You! I’ve been eating a lot of quinoa salads for lunch these day!

9. Lauren@LittleYellowKitchen October 19, 2011 at 8:59 am #

I saw this on Tasty Kitchen and knew I had to come check out your site. This salad is right up my alley! Gorgeous pictures too by the ways :)

10. Abby Garin December 1, 2011 at 11:44 pm #

I made these yesterday and was absolutely amazing, thank you for sharing :D

11. Lisa April 2, 2012 at 4:52 pm #

one word….Yummy!

12. Cheryl May 21, 2013 at 9:07 am #

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. We tried it last night and loved it! :-D

13. Nikki April 24, 2014 at 5:03 pm #

I am wondering how this keeps in the refrigerator when already dressed?
    Thanks!

1. The Best Little Quinoa Salad Ever - Domestic Fits - November 19, 2012

[…] is my salad, my way of staying in shape. I eat it about 5 days a week in various forms and this one is my […]

2. Strawberry Cheesecake Popsicles and I Heart California Strawberries - Domestic Fits - April 24, 2013

[…] Strawberry Quinoa Salad – Domestic Fits […]