Slow Cooker Beer and Brown Sugar Pulled Chicken Sliders
Slow Cooker Beer and Brown Sugar Pulled Chicken Sliders. Perfect for a football game!
For all of the FanBoy love that seems to be sent to the Slow Cooker, it’s my least favorite way to produce a meal. Flavors tend to muddy, its hard to develop layers of flavor, and this culinary contraption seems to render a thinking cook obsolete: dump it in and turn it on.
Meat seems to be the best use, especially when you introduce beer into the mix. Both a low and slow cooking method and the alcohol in beer are meat tenderizers giving you a great final product.
I can concede that it’s convenient for those of you who don’t prefer to spend all day in the kitchen babying a sauce or teasing a sourdough starter back to life, I tend to favor the high maintenance meals.
Given my skepticism of a Slow Cooker meal, I was thrilled with how this came out. I made it twice, once with a stout with about 4% ABV (Alcohol By Volume, it should be listed on the label of your beer) and the second time with a porter with 9% ABV.
Because it’s the alcohol in the beer that gives it it’s tenderizing power, the higher ABV did the best job. Look for a beer that packs a punch, and you’ll have a fantastic crowd-pleasing meal that takes only about five minutes of active time.
I’ll just have to satisfy my need for involved cooking tasks with homemade beer slider buns.
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 3 tbs soy sauce
- 3 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 12 ounces porter beer (high ABV dark beer works best)
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thigh fillets
- 18-20 slider buns
- In a small bowl whisk together the tomato paste, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, smoked paprika, garlic powder and brown sugar.
- Add the sauce, chicken and beer to a slow cooker. Cook on low for 4 hours or until chicken pulls apart easy with a fork.
- Using two forks, shred chicken.
- Scoop chicken into slider buns.