California Quinoa Bowl is healthy, naturally gluten free, dairy free, and complete delicious in just 15 minutes.
There are a few things we like here in California when it comes to naming dishes after our state. First, it should be healthy, we like to at least pretend that we lean towards the health conscious way of life. Second, the inclusion of avocados is almost a necessity (you can leave off those sprouts, by the way) we are quite proud of those gorgeous avocados around here. Lastly, at least three different types of produce is a must, HALF of all the fruits and vegetables that are grown in the United States are grown in California (don’t look so surprised, we are more than just palm trees and reality shows).
As a girl who was born in California and spent most of her life here, I tend to eat this way quite a bit (when not making an egregiously Non-california type dishes such as the Beer Doughnuts). I love quinoa (I always cook it this way as not to render it mushy) I load my plate with produce, and I always use chicken thighs, so much better than those chicken breasts people seem to be so fond of. But then again, maybe it’s living in LA too long I just might be sick breasts all together.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thigh fillets
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 red pepper, roasted and sliced
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and diced (or 2 persian cucumbers not peeled but diced)
- 4 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup hummus (I used a spicy hummus)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Sprinkle the chicken thighs on all sides with salt, pepper and onion powder.
- Heat olive oil in a cast iron skillet until hot but not smoking.
- Cook chicken on both sides until browned and chicken is cooked through, about 3-5 minutes per side. Remove from pan, allow to cool sligthly and slice.
- Evenly distribute the quinoa between 4 bowls, top with sliced chicken, red pepper, cucumber, tomatoes and chicken.
- Top each bowl with 1/4 cup hummus and a few slices of avocado.