Seven Layer Hummus Dip

Seven layer Hummus Dip 2
I wasn’t going to do a post on this, because it’s not a recipe. Not really, it’s more like assembly instructions. But then two things happened, first, I keep making it for parties, and people keep loving it. Second, I went to a goat cheese making class this weekend and was sent home with a bag of fantastic Redwood Hill Farms goat cheese products, including a fabulous goat feta.

I could eat chèvre goat cheese every day of my life, it’s one of my favorite foods, and by far my favorite cheese. Which I found out is a good thing since goat milk products are easier on the human digestive system and lower in calories, cholesterol and fat than cow cheeses. Which reminded me to try smoked goat cheddar next time I have a craving for a late night grilled cheese, at least I’ll feel less guilty about it.

Speaking of less guilty, this dip is a less guilty version of that other seven layer dip, that one that has refried beans, cheddar, sour cream, you know the one. It’s great, I love that guy. But this one is just as tasty, but with much fewer calories and you don’t even have to resort to “fat free” or fake ingredients, it’s just a big pile of tasty produce sandwiched between hummus and that naturally lower in calorie cheese we talked about. It’s just about winning at party dip making while bikini season rears its ugly head.

Seven layer Hummus Dip 3

Seven Layer Hummus Dip

• 10 wt ounces hummus
  • 1 red onion, chopped
  • 4 persian cucumbers, chopped
  • 1 large beefsteak tomato, chopped
  • 1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
  • 6 ounces marinated artichoke hearts, chopped
  • 4 wt ounces feta cheese, crumbled

1. Starting with the hummus and ending with the feta cheese, layer all ingredients in an 8X8 baking dish or similar sized serving dish. Serve immediately or cover and chill until ready to serve.

Notes

1. Make sure and chop all vegetables smaller than you would for a salad, they need to be small enough so that all seven layers make it into the same bite. 2. If you find raw onions too intense, soak them in ice cold water, rinse and allow to dry before proceeding with this recipe.

Seven layer Hummus Dip_

13 Responses to Seven Layer Hummus Dip

1. Averie @ Averie Cooks May 20, 2013 at 1:48 am #

I love 7 layer dip (and 7 layer bars :)) and this version of yours looks wonderful. Love that it’s a little lighter than the sour cream original one! And has artichokes!

2. Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet May 20, 2013 at 11:49 am #

How do I get invited to your parties? :) This dip looks fabulous! Love the hummus and feta!

3. Miss Kim @ behgopa.com May 20, 2013 at 1:29 pm #

The photos look so inviting. I can imagine what a huge hit these are at your parties. I LOVE goat cheese too. And I just want go through that screen and to dig into your Seven Layer Hummus Dip!

4. Cassie | Bake Your Day May 20, 2013 at 2:59 pm #

I will take this kind of recipe ANY day. Love it. And your new header!

5. Geez Louise! May 20, 2013 at 3:42 pm #

love goat cheese too…

6. Emily May 20, 2013 at 3:56 pm #

This dip is sheer brilliance! So yummy!

7. ashley - baker by nature May 20, 2013 at 7:40 pm #

This is so perfect for parties!!! And your header looks fabulous!

8. Jen @ Savory Simple May 20, 2013 at 7:42 pm #

Will you bring me some of this on Sunday? I don’t care whether it’s a recipe or assembly instructions; I would eat this EVERY day.

9. carrian May 20, 2013 at 9:26 pm #

well hello my little savory triffle of deliciousness, you come here much? ;)

10. Trish May 21, 2013 at 9:45 pm #

YUM! This likes my dream lunch……
    Trish

11. Megan@Food and Whine May 22, 2013 at 10:20 pm #

That dip looks beautiful! Great idea.

12. BiteMeMore June 23, 2013 at 2:16 pm #

❤! This is a party-perfect idea!
    OMG this is just another reason why I love layers! I’m inspired to have a layer-themed party now… complete with dress up games and my favourite layer cake http://www.bitememore.com/feedme/239/layered-key-lime-cake-recipe

1. 47 No-Cook Summer Dinners (with 8 Bonus No-Bake Desserts!) | Kitchen Treaty - July 8, 2013

[…] Seven Layer Hummus Dip – Domestic Fits […]