Greekamole: Greek Guacamole

Greekamole: Greek Guacamole

Did I ever tell you about the time I was on a boat halfway between Italy and Greece and had my first Greek salad? I was just out of college, completely broke, and had nearly smuggled myself on board an overnight cruise ship. Although I was supposed to stay on the lower deck, I wandered up to the dinning room, looking for whatever I could afford on my tiny daily food budget. I found these small Greek salads that had all those great flavors found in a Greek salad but with no lettuce. And when you have cucumbers, Kalamata olives, Feta cheese and a lemon vinaigrette, you have no need for any lettuce.

Greekamole: Greek Guacamole

I spent the rest of the night playing “Italian Poker” on the top deck with a father and son from Naples who spoke no English (I, consequently, speak no Italian). Somehow, we managed to communicate, and for hours we played the poker I was familiar with but only used cards ranked 7 and above. They continued to order me those Greek salads, as well as cup after cup of the strongest espresso I have ever had.

I don’t remember parting ways with those two, although I’ll never forget them, but I do remember stumbling off the boat in the wee hours of the morning, in Cofu Greece, rattled by the Espresso Shakes and being handed a shot of Ouzo as I got into port.

Since then I can’t get enough of that magical combination of ingredients. Since you all already know my deep love of the avocado  it was only a matter of time before I made a greek version of guacamole. This was so good I ate the entire bowl for lunch, and then made it again over the weekend.

Greekamole: Greek Guacamole

Greekamole

• 2 large avocado
  • ¼ cup Greek yogurt
  • 2 tsp lemon juice
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ½ tsp pepper
  • ½ tsp chili powder
  • ½ cup cucumber, peeled and chopped
  • ½ cup red onion, chopped
  • 2 large Roma tomatoes, chopped
  • ¼ cup kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
  • ½ cup feta cheese

1. Add the meat of the avocados, greek yogurt, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and chili powder, mash until well combined.
  2. Stir in the cucumbers, red onion, tomatoes, kalamata olives and feta cheese. Garnish with additional feta cheese if desired.

, , ,

21 Responses to Greekamole: Greek Guacamole

1. Bree {Skinny Mommy} April 22, 2013 at 6:40 am #

Love the combination of Mexican and Greek food and of course the story of your adventure!

2. Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet April 22, 2013 at 9:04 am #

We love love Greek salad! Like probably more than Caesar! :) I am not a fan of guacamole but this I would love to try! Pinning!

3. Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry April 22, 2013 at 9:19 am #

I love the story of your adventure! And this guacamole looks delish!

4. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious April 22, 2013 at 10:23 am #

Smuggled on a boat?!! I never knew that side of you!

And this guac? YES! I like trying any variation of guacamole and this just made the top of my “to-make” list!

• Jackie April 22, 2013 at 3:39 pm #

Ha! Probably a bit of a dramatic word for that trip, but that’s how I felt :)

5. Laurie {SimplyScratch} April 22, 2013 at 11:09 am #

I love EVERYTHING about this guacamole! I’ve had a similar one before but this one has way more goodies in it… PINNED AND BOOKMARKED! :)

• Jackie April 22, 2013 at 3:40 pm #

Awww, thanks Laurie :) I want to eat it with those delicious refried beans you made!

6. Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl April 22, 2013 at 11:54 am #

Guacamole is truly amazing. Your spin on this traditional dish sounds fantastic, too! I LOVE Greek food :).

7. Gerry @ Foodness Gracious April 22, 2013 at 1:51 pm #

Ha, great story! I have many Ouzo memories from Corfu when I was a youngster…say no more that stuff is strong!!

• Jackie April 22, 2013 at 3:41 pm #

Oh Ouzo! I still can’t stand the taste.

8. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies April 22, 2013 at 2:19 pm #

Greek salad without lettuce sounds divine. Lettuce: I am not a fan. I love that you made a Greek-inspired guacamole!

• Jackie April 22, 2013 at 3:42 pm #

I like a salad that isn’t afraid to pass on lettuce! Because no one ever says, “This salad needs more lettuce.”

9. Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking April 22, 2013 at 3:10 pm #

Wow, such a scrumptious idea for guacamole! This looks so delicious, Jackie!

10. Ashley @ Baker by Nature April 22, 2013 at 3:53 pm #

Omg, YES! I think we need to make a guacamole date soon :0)

11. Julie @ Table for Two April 22, 2013 at 5:21 pm #

this looks so good. greek salad is one of my favorites – i tend to order it a lot when we go out to eat (which is so silly, i could just make it at home) but that combined in an avocado/guac?? you’re killing me sista!!

12. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. April 22, 2013 at 11:05 pm #

This is the best idea ever!! Two of my favorite things!

13. addie | culicurious April 23, 2013 at 12:29 pm #

great idea! I love all of those ingredients! :)

14. claire @ the realistic nutritionist April 25, 2013 at 9:51 am #

hahaha. I could so see you doing that :) love this!

15. Kiran @ KiranTarun.com April 25, 2013 at 1:03 pm #