Coconut Brioche

Coconut Brioche2

I was scared of bread making for years. I scoured the internet for non-yeast rolls, because I was so convinced that I could never make anything that required proofing or rising. A few years ago I decided that I needed to figure this out, I needed to learn. What’s the worse that could happen?

Over the years I’ve had more than a few flat lumps of dough tossed in the trash, and I’ve even been so frustrated that I’ve actually cried (my poor husband). All the bread fails have lead me to a few yeast discoveries and bread making is now one of my favorite kitchen related activities.

Coconut Brioche3

Here are my tips, the ways to reduce the odds of curse words, tears and flat dough:

First, salt can kill yeast, so don’t add it until one of the last steps. Salt is still important to brighten the flavors, so don’t skip it. Just don’t add it at the same time as the yeast.

Second, rapid rise yeast and dry active yeast aren’t the same. Rapid rise yeast needs to activated with liquid between 120 and 130 degrees fahrenheit and dry active yeast needs liquid about 110 degrees, it will be killed at temperatures much higher than that.

Third, check the expiration date! Once yeast expires, it’s actually dead and it won’t work.

Forth, even though the recipe might say, “allow to rise at room temperature until double in size, about 60 minutes,” it might actually take 2 hours, or even three. Especially if your house is cold.

lastly, sometimes, every once in a while, it still just doesn’t work. This is pretty rare for me right now, but occasionally the completely unexplainable bread failure still happens. Even with that, it’s still absolutely worth it. Nothing beats  homemade bread.

Coconut Brioche4

Coconut Brioche

• 2 cup bread flour
  • ¼ cup bakers special dry milk (I use King Arthur Flour)
  • 1 packet ( 2 1/2 teaspoons) Rapid Rise yeast (I used Red Star Platinum)
  • 1 tbs sugar
  • 3/4 cup full fat coconut milk
  • 1 eggs, room temperature
  • 2 tbs vegetable oil
  • 1 tsp salt
  • ¼ cup butter, softened to room temperature (for dairy free use butter flavored shortening)
  • Egg wash (1 egg, 1 tbs water, whisked)
  • coarse sea salt
  • Yield: 1 loaf, 8 rolls

1. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, add the flour, dry milk, yeast and sugar. Stir to combine.
  2. Add the coconut milk to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 20 seconds, test temperature and repeat until liquid is between 120 and 130 degrees.
  3. Add the coconut milk to the flour and mix on medium speed until incorporated, and shaggy lumps form.
  4. Add the egg , oil and salt, mix until well incorporated.
  5. Add the butter, mixing well.
  6. The dough will be very soft.
  7. Mix on medium/high speed until the dough gathers around the dough hook, about 8 minutes.
  8. Remove from the mixer and place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover and allow to sit in a warm room until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
  9. Cut the dough into into 8 equal pieces.
  10. One at a time, flatten each dough piece into a 6-inch circle (resembling a small tortilla).
  11. Grab the edge of the circle and pull it into the center. Repeat until a tight ball is formed.
  12. Place the dough balls, smooth side up, into a loaf pan or 8X8 baking pan, in two parallel rows, 4 dough balls in each row.
  13. Cover and allow to rise until almost doubled in size, about 1 hour. (*Note: You can also do what is called a “Fridge Rise” if you want to make these a day ahead of time. The second rise will take about 12 hours in the fridge instead of 1 hour in a warm room. As soon as you placed the dough balls in the loaf pan, cover and refrigerate for 12 hours instead of allowing to rise at room temperature. Remove from the fridge the following day and allow to come to room temperature before baking)
  14. Preheat oven to 375. Brush the tops of each loaf with egg wash, sprinkle with coarse salt. Bake at 375 for 28-32 minutes or until a golden brown.

Coconut Brioche

, , ,

21 Responses to Coconut Brioche

1. Averie @ Averie Cooks March 13, 2013 at 3:55 am #

It look so tender and pull-aparty-ey! It’s gorgeous and I can only imagine how good it tastes. And why did I always think that brioche had a minimum of like 8 eggs and 2 lbs of butter in the dough? Yours is like the Cooking Light version – seriously so healthy but beyond that, love coconut! used!!

And all those tips, spot on. Love em!

• Jackie March 13, 2013 at 9:05 am #

Although, 8 eggs and 2 lbs of butter sounds pretty awesome! This is a version of the rolls I always make during the holidays, but I usually add beer instead of coconut milk!

2. Cassie | Bake Your Day March 13, 2013 at 6:19 am #

Great tips, lady! I love baking bread but it can be frustrating. I have wanted to make brioche too, and this one looks fabulous!

• Jackie March 13, 2013 at 9:17 am #

I think it’s my favorite! I always make it for Thanksgiving. You should totally figure out how to make Biscoff Brioche!

3. addie | culicurious March 13, 2013 at 7:31 am #

what an interesting idea! I love bread but seldom take the time to bake it. Gonna have to try this one one day, though!

4. Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet March 13, 2013 at 8:12 am #

I have always wanted to make brioche. Your coconut version sounds truly amazing, Jackie! And all those tips – love this post!

• Jackie March 13, 2013 at 9:20 am #

Next time, I want to try adding coconut flakes to the dough and see how that turns out!

5. Jessica@AKitchenAddiction March 13, 2013 at 8:53 am #

This bread looks absolutely perfect! I love homemade bread!

6. Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry March 13, 2013 at 10:28 am #

I still fall into the category of scared to make anything with yeast but your tips above are super helpful. Fingers crossed, I can make these coconut brioche rolls without colossal failure.

7. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious March 13, 2013 at 11:06 am #

Love your tips on avoiding curse words, tears and flat dough! Brioche has been on my bucket list for years! Definitely have to tackle this soon!

• Jackie March 14, 2013 at 8:27 am #

You should! It’s not too much active time, and you can even get most of it done the night before. I love brioche rolls.

8. Gerry @ Foodness Gracious March 13, 2013 at 11:21 am #

Brioche is awesome but It’s always hard to find. Don’t even bother asking at a regular store, so if you can make your own..yayy! Funnily enough it’s all over the place back home :)

9. Julie March 13, 2013 at 4:44 pm #

What a beautiful bread! I’m going to do some bread baking again soon and have wanted to try making a brioche. I like that your recipe uses coconut milk. Thanks for sharing!

Julie @ This Gal Cooks

10. Julie @ Table for Two March 13, 2013 at 6:49 pm #

ugh i was SO terrified of yeast just a few years ago. i literally would call my mom and tell her to come over to help me activate it. after i got over the fear, homemade bread was a breeze! i love all your tips that you give for perfect yeast activating! your brioche looks amazing and so fluffy! they remind me of pillows…let me just lay my head down….

• Jackie March 14, 2013 at 8:29 am #

I used to make my husband do it! He used to work in the kitchen of a pizza restaurant when he was in high school, he was the “dough guy” so he’s always been good with yeast.

11. chinmayie @ love food eat March 14, 2013 at 5:52 am #

That is such a beautiful brioche! Looks so perfectly fluffy :)

12. RavieNomNoms March 14, 2013 at 6:50 am #

This looks AH-MAZING! Brioche is so delicious and yours looks superb :-)

13. Kare @ Kitchen Treaty March 14, 2013 at 7:11 am #

This looks so fluffy! I just want to dive in.

I finally started using a (clean) meat thermometer (for lack of any other options) to make SURE my water temperature is between 100 and 110 degrees. I can just never tell for sure. That helped me a ton.

• Jackie March 14, 2013 at 8:30 am #

Yes! I switched to digital and that helped.

14. Lianne March 16, 2013 at 2:50 am #

These brioches look so fluffy and perfect! (: Your tips are so helpful as I’ve failed making bread a few times now, gotta give this a try! Thank you for sharing the recipe! hehe

15. ashley - baker by nature April 1, 2013 at 6:09 pm #

Coconut brioche!? I’ve said it before, but seriously… you’re genius!