Perfect Skillet Roasted Potatoes

Perfect Skillet Roasted Potatoes_

Have you ever had one of those “What Would You Want Your Last Meal To Be?” conversations?

I have. Partially because I’m a touch more morbid than most, and partially because I think about food nearly constantly. Also, between food writers, food bloggers and chefs, I hang out with quite a few food people and that tends to dictate the sway of conversation.

Julia Child ate French onion soup as her last meal. James Dean had apple pie and a glass of milk at a road side dinner. JFK ate a pretty typical breakfast of eggs, toast and coffee. John Lennon had a corned beef sandwich. Ernest Hemingway had a steak and potatoes.

(*have I totally creeped you out with death talk on my potatoes post?)

Really, what that conversation comes down to is what food could you not bear never eating again. For most people, that’s comfort food, or meals that remind them of childhood. To be honest with you, I can’t really decide on an answer to the super-morbid Last Meal question. But, I can tell you I would want potatoes to be a part of the meal.

I’ve been making these potatoes for a while. Really simple, easy and always turn out great, without much effort. They also just so happen to be vegan and gluten free, how great is that?

Last meal or not, I’ll be having these again soon.

Perfect Skillet Roasted Potatoes 3

Perfect Skillet Roasted Potatoes

• 1.5 lb baby red potatoes, cut into quarters
  • 3 tbs olive oil
  • 1 tsp sea salt, or kosher salt
  • 1 tsp black pepper

1. Preheat the oven to 375.
  2. Add olive oil to cast iron skillet over medium high heat until hot but not smoking.
  3. Add the potatoes, one of the cut sides down.
  4. Cook until browned, about 3 minutes.
  5. Push each piece of potato over, toggling it onto its un-browned cut side.
  6. Cook for one minute, transfer skillet to the oven and cook for 15 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.

Perfect Skillet Roasted Potatoes 2

32 Responses to Perfect Skillet Roasted Potatoes

1. Gerry @ Foodness Gracious January 23, 2013 at 6:06 am #

Interesting, how the heck did you find out that info? Loving your spuds btw!

• Jackie January 23, 2013 at 9:02 am #

Some of those I knew and some I looked up. Google is amazing :)

2. Jen @ Savory Simple January 23, 2013 at 6:06 am #

I have no idea what my last meal would be. I’ve never really had just one favorite meal, though I have favorites in categories: favorite snack, dessert, ice cream, stew, etc. It would certainly have to be comforting. These potatoes look very comforting!

3. Bree January 23, 2013 at 6:48 am #

Oh love the use of the cast iron skillet here. I will definitely have to try that technique!

4. claire @ the realistic nutritionist January 23, 2013 at 7:03 am #

These are absolutely AMAZING!!! I love them! Funny story, I had a dream someone stole my cast iron pan and I confronted them, only for them to say it was theirs, despite me having photos of my pan.

I’m nuts?

• Jackie January 23, 2013 at 9:04 am #

Blogger nightmares, That’s hilarious. Even though I haven’t waited tables since college I still have waitress nightmares, how nuts is that?

5. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious January 23, 2013 at 9:11 am #

These really do look perfect. I would love them even more with an oozing yolk on top!

• Jackie January 23, 2013 at 12:23 pm #

Yes to that! Yolk is natures perfect sauce.

6. Jessica@AKitchenAddiction January 23, 2013 at 10:15 am #

I love roasted potatoes but have never tried them in a skillet. That’ll have to change. . .these look perfect!

7. Bev @ Bev Cooks January 23, 2013 at 10:42 am #

Roasted potatoes are my liiiiiieeeeeffffeeeeeee.

8. Anna @ Hidden Ponies January 23, 2013 at 11:22 am #

I spend way too much time thinking about my last meal, the only food I’d want stranded on a dessert island, etc. These potatoes look like they would go great with the perfect steak I lean towards for the last meal :)

9. Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet January 23, 2013 at 12:46 pm #

I am too chicken to think about what my last meal would be.. Fascinating about the famous people you mentioned. Kinda creepy but fascinating.:) These potatoes – wow, they do look perfect! How many times have I tried to make skillet roasted potatoes and failed! Thanks for this recipe, Jackie!

10. Julie @ Table for Two January 23, 2013 at 3:10 pm #

um, if i had a plateful of these near my death bed, i’d be more than happy. i would gladly commit carbicide ;) these look awesome! i love the crust on the outside!

• Jackie January 23, 2013 at 4:09 pm #

Carbicide! That’s brilliant. And If I get to choose how I go, that’s what I’m picking.

11. amy @ fearless homemaker January 23, 2013 at 3:45 pm #

Mmmm, these look fantastic! And I’ve had that what-would-be-your-last-meal conversation with many people. I know it’s morbid .. but it’s so interesting! Mine would definitely include pasta, probably some sort of meatball, and lots of great cheese + bread. Although now you have me thinking that some potatoes would be a good addition, too. =)

• Jackie January 23, 2013 at 4:10 pm #

It’s so interesting what people pick! Lots of bread for me also, and some cake too.

12. Cassie | Bake Your Day January 23, 2013 at 4:06 pm #

You are hilarious. And I totally relate. I need these potatoes to be part of my last meal!

13. Nicole @ youngbrokeandhungry January 23, 2013 at 7:05 pm #

Personally, I would have a huge slice of triple chocolate cake for my last meal. But these potatoes look pretty killer as well. For some reason, I always imagine a roasted chicken when I see roasted potatoes, the two just pair so well together!

14. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. January 23, 2013 at 7:06 pm #

Ohh, I love these! What a great idea to get some crispy on the stove first. Cuts down on the cooking time and they look even more crispy and perfect!

15. Liz January 24, 2013 at 7:55 am #

I think my hubby would put roasted potatoes on his last meal menu! And yours would be perfect…so brown and lovely!!!

16. chinmayie @ love food eat January 24, 2013 at 9:51 am #

Simple roasted potatoes like this are always a favorite at home. Isn’t it amazing how everybody loves potatoes? No matter which part of the world we live it!

17. Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking January 24, 2013 at 10:50 am #

My have I never cooked potatoes in a skillet?! These look so good!

18. Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking January 24, 2013 at 10:51 am #

Oops, meant to say *why! :)

19. Julia {The Roasted Root} January 25, 2013 at 11:54 am #

It’s a really tough call to decide what my last meal would be….probably chili and cornbread as simple as that sounds. These potatoes look awwwwesome! I bet they’re wonderful with steak and I’d use the leftovers in a breakfast hash (assuming there were leftovers….) Have a fun weekend!

20. ROR January 28, 2013 at 5:41 am #

My last meal would involve eggs and probably steak. Or my dad’s pizza. Or maybe just these: http://rain-on-roses.blogspot.com/2013/01/single-serving-baked-eggs.html … ridiculously delicious!!

Thanks for this post, my bf is constantly cooking these but they’re always mushy. We’ll have to try your version!!

21. RavieNomNoms January 28, 2013 at 9:47 am #

Oh my, those are just divine aren’t they?! Seriously, I love having a nice crispy potato. That texture is by far one of my favorites :-)

22. Sara January 29, 2013 at 6:30 pm #

3 out of 4 solid food eaters approve! The thumbs down came from my four year old. Fool. Perfect is right! I used yukons and one yam (two of my yukons were green!)

• Jackie January 30, 2013 at 6:07 pm #

Thank you! I’ve never tried this method with yukons or yams, I’ll have to give it a try :)

23. ashley - baker by nature January 29, 2013 at 9:10 pm #

I chuckle a bit when you said you’re a bit more morid than most; I feel that way, too. I also think these potatoes will be made very, very soon. My macho man will love them next to a big steak haha.

24. Chasidy February 8, 2013 at 3:39 pm #

Just finished making these roasted potatoes – they are sooooo good! I will definitely make them again!!

• Jackie February 8, 2013 at 3:52 pm #

Yay! SO glad you liked them :)

1. Spinach Artichoke Dip Grill Pan Pizza - Domestic Fits - April 11, 2013

[…] made brownies, bacon fat biscuits, chorizo egg breakfast skillet, countless chicken recipes, the perfect roasted potatoes, queso dip, bread, and now here we are with this fabulous […]