Pasta Cavatelli: Homemade Pasta Without A Pasta Roller

How To Make Pasta Without A Pasta Machine

I love hearing other peoples Culinary Bucket Lists. It’s always a really interesting mix of classic recipes, mastering techniques, and difficult dishes. I love that, it shows range.

But seriously people, start crossing some of this stuff off. You can do it. Just jump right in, and do it.

This is a great recipe for everyone that has “Make Pasta From Scratch” on your list because you don’t need any fancy equiptment. Just some flour, water and a knife.

You’ve go this.

I’m going to be honest with you, this is a bit labor intensive. But you can finally draw that satisfying line though the item that’s been taunting you on your bucket list for years. You can finally say things like, “This one time, while I was making pasta from scratch…” and “Well, when I make my pasta…”

It’ll be fun.

Homemade Cavatelli Pasta

2 cups All Purpose flour

1 cup Semolina flour

½ tsp salt

1 cup warm water

1. Add both kinds of flour and salt to a flat surface, mix to combine.

How To Make Pasta Without A Pasta Roller

2. Make a well in the middle and add the water.

How To Make Pasta Without A Pasta Roller2

3. Stir the liquid and the flour together until combined. Then knead until smooth, about 5 minutes.

How To Make Pasta Without A Pasta Roller3

4. Cut into 4 pieces, wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.

How To Make Pasta Without A Pasta Roller4

5. One at at time, take a piece of dough and form into a long log about 1/4 to 1/2 inch in diameter.

How To Make Pasta Without A Pasta Roller5 How To Make Pasta Without A Pasta Roller6

6. Cut off about 1/4 inch slice and place in front of you. It should be about the size of a dime.

How To Make Pasta Without A Pasta Roller7

How To Make Pasta Without A Pasta Roller8

7. Place a bench knife (I use this one, I love it), or the dull side of a butter knife, on the far side of the dough circle, pull towards you smearing the dough against the counter. The dough should curl up over the knife.

How To Make Pasta Without A Pasta Roller9

8. It should look like a little canoe.

How To Make Pasta Without A Pasta Roller10

10. Place on a baking sheet that has been lightly dusted with flour until ready to use. Basically, if you mound them on top of each other, they’ll stick.

How To Make Pasta Without A Pasta Roller11

11. Cook immediately in lightly salted water until al dente or allow to dry and store in an air tight container.

How To Make Pasta Without A Pasta Roller12

Look at you, you homemade pasta maker.

I’m so impressed with your mad skills.

, ,

39 Responses to Pasta Cavatelli: Homemade Pasta Without A Pasta Roller

1. Averie @ Averie Cooks January 10, 2013 at 9:39 am #

In all your spare time, you made homemade pasta. AMAZING!!!

• Jackie January 10, 2013 at 9:30 pm #

I know, right? This was something I just wanted to do. Even though it was more time that I really had to spare. Sometimes, you just have to do something for you!

2. Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie January 10, 2013 at 9:43 am #

Even though I do have the tools for making pasta, this is great!

• Jackie January 10, 2013 at 9:32 pm #

I have a pasta roller, but I still love the kinds of pasta that don’t need them. It’s nice to get your hands dirty sometimes :)

3. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious January 10, 2013 at 11:12 am #

Homemade canoe pasta?! Uh yeah, I think I could totally do this! Great tutorial too – you make it look so easy!

• Jackie January 10, 2013 at 9:33 pm #

It really isn’t that hard, it just takes a lot of time. I kept leaving and then coming back to it when I had a few minutes.

4. RavieNomNoms January 10, 2013 at 12:57 pm #

I agree that it can be a bit labor intensive, but it is definitely rewarding…This looks great! I love homemade pasta, but I don’t get to enjoy it very often because of the reason you mentioned. Just takes so long.

It looks gorgeous!

• Jackie January 10, 2013 at 9:47 pm #

There really is something so rewarding about making your own pasta from scratch.

5. Laura January 10, 2013 at 3:19 pm #

I’ve seen this in Theresa Guidice’s cookbook, but didn’t have the nerve to try. You make it look so easy!

• Jackie January 10, 2013 at 9:48 pm #

It really isn’t hard, it just takes a lot of time.

6. Cassie | Bake Your Day January 10, 2013 at 5:07 pm #

This is gorgeous! I grew up on homemade pasta but I rarely make it. That must change.

• Jackie January 10, 2013 at 9:53 pm #

You should! After the move, invite your new neighbors over for some homemade pasta :)

7. Sophie January 11, 2013 at 5:34 am #

Ooh what a neat idea! I still haven’t splurged on a pasta attachment for my kitchenaid so I haven’t tried to make homemade pasta yet. I will have to try this sometime soon!

8. amy @ fearless homemaker January 11, 2013 at 6:04 am #

This is some of the best-looking homemade cavatelli I’ve ever seen! I’m super impressed. =) And unrelated: I just saw your comment that you got a slow-cooker – i can’t wait to see/hear what you make with it! =)

• Jackie January 11, 2013 at 8:40 am #

It’s like a whole new world for me :) soups will be happening soon!

9. Gerry @ Foodness Gracious January 11, 2013 at 6:05 am #

Did you get a babysitter for this project :) I see a lot of bucket lists but I haven’t made one yet. Loving these little canoes..

• Jackie January 11, 2013 at 8:41 am #

Ha! The great thing about this is I can just do it for a few minutes when I have time and then come back to it later. It pretty much took me all day in about 10 minute sessions.

10. Jen @ Savory Simple January 11, 2013 at 7:27 am #

I’ve always wanted to try cavatelli. I think this recipe is happening soon!

11. ashley - baker by nature January 11, 2013 at 8:06 am #

Your cavatelli is stunning, Jackie! This post makes me want to come over for dinner ;)

12. Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet January 11, 2013 at 8:30 am #

I LOVE this, Jackie! I always wanted to make homemade pasta and this looks so fun I think I will have my girls help me :) I can see a fun project coming up!

13. claire @ the realistic nutritionist January 11, 2013 at 9:00 am #

I do not have a pasta roller so YES YES YES YES YES!!

14. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies January 11, 2013 at 3:04 pm #

Homemade pasta is so much better than the store-bought kind! I have a roller, but I still want to try this. It looks satisfying!

15. Liz January 11, 2013 at 6:25 pm #

Oh, my gosh…these look like they were made by an Italian Mama!!! Perfection!!!

16. Allison Day January 11, 2013 at 6:32 pm #

I’m totally doing this soon. I’ve always wanted to make pasta from scratch, but my excuse has always been, “well, I don’t have a pasta roller, so guess not…”

Of course, this might get in the way of my grand plan to convince Son that yes, we do need a pasta roller in our little apartment… but I suppose it’s worth the risk. ;)

17. katie January 12, 2013 at 9:00 am #

You make this look so easy. Must give this a try soon!

18. Anna @ Hidden Ponies January 12, 2013 at 8:01 pm #

Oh man, I think I would call everyone I knew if I did this, I would be so proud. I love that it doesn’t take any special tools, great instructions! I love having a culinary bucket list but I also love checking things off…just as long as the list is never totally empty :)

19. Shea Goldstein January 13, 2013 at 7:31 am #

Brilliant! Can’t wait to try it – homemade pasta is definitely so much better than store bought. Thanks for sharing :)

20. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. January 13, 2013 at 10:06 pm #

You go, girl! I always use the machine, but these are just so much fancier!

21. Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama January 14, 2013 at 6:40 am #

I have a pasta roller but hate to use. Not sure why… This is a pasta I think I can tackle! Looks so easy I must try it.

22. Bree January 14, 2013 at 12:26 pm #

One word-impressive.

23. Ursula January 18, 2013 at 3:00 am #

I’m still learning how to make pasta and this is the next one i want to try. I

enjoyed it!

24. Megan {Country Cleaver} January 22, 2013 at 7:08 pm #

I’m so going to have to try these, I’ve never made my own pasta. What a great how to!

25. Sara April 13, 2013 at 5:25 am #

Hey! I just need to give an enormous thumbs
    up for the good recipe. Lots of work but worth it.

26. Susan@LunaCafe August 22, 2013 at 10:10 am #

Great photos and explanation of this process. I just ordered a cavelli machine but will try this method as well. Thanks!

27. Alicia June 26, 2014 at 3:29 pm #

This looks great! I want to try it tomorrow, but how much pasta does it make? I only want to make enough for two hungry people =)

1. Creamy Kale Pesto Pasta - March 8, 2013

[...] also made this pasta again. I love the ritual of homemade pasta and even though I own Kitchen Aid pasta rollers, I still [...]

2. Current Obsessions - Domestic Fits - March 16, 2013

[...] Table. First, it almost convinces me that I have marble counters when I look at the process photos, like these ones, but it also makes a fantastic dough-rolling surface, and the BEST part is it’s only $39! The [...]

3. Meyer Lemon Cavatelli | - April 22, 2013

[...] advice from Pasta Cavatelli at Domestic [...]

4. Homemade Ricotta Cavatelli Pasta | Recipe | LunaCafe - September 11, 2013

[...] of course you can also shape cavatelli pasta by hand, which I taught my three-year-old granddaughter, Miss Lillian, to do quite respectably and happily, [...]