Coconut Oat French Toast (Dairy Free)

I told you all about my plan to try and limit my dairy intake. There are, however, some things that I will never part with, like goat cheese. I might crawl across broken glass for goat cheese. And homemade whipped cream, especially Candy Cane Whipped Cream, is a joy I will indulge in for the rest of my life.

But milk, I could take it or leave it. In fact, most of the time I would rather leave it. Not just because the idea of drinking a tall glass of un-manipulated milk makes me want to gag, but because I have found so many alternatives that I enjoy so much more.

Coconut milk is an amazing substitute for milk, and the flavor is beautiful. Almond milk adds a new dimension to dishes that I adore.

For now, I will be making my french toast with coconut milk, I loved the way it tasted.

Coconut Oat French Toast

1 can light coconut milk

1/4 cup brown sugar, plus additional 1/4 cup divided

1 tsp vanilla

2 eggs

12 slices of bread

1 cup quick oats

Add the coconut milk, 1/4 cup brown sugar, vanilla and eggs to a bowl, whisk until well combined.

Place the oats and remaining brown sugar on a plate or in a shallow dish, stir until well combined.

Heat a skillet (with a lid), sprayed with butter flavored cooking spry,  over medium high heat until hot but not smoking.

Two at a time, soak the bread in the coconut milk mixture for about a minute. Remove from the milk and allow excess to drain off, place on the oat plate, turn to coat.

Add the french toast to the hot pan, replace the lid and cook for two minutes. Turn the french toast, replace the lid and cook for an additional two minutes, or until cooked through. Turn the heat down on the pan if the oats start to brown too quickly.

Top with fresh fruit, if desired.

{Pin This Post}

Like Domestic Fits on Facebook

, , ,

8 Responses to Coconut Oat French Toast (Dairy Free)

1. Chung-Ah June 28, 2012 at 11:23 am #

I never would’ve thought to use coconut milk in french toast! You’re a genius! And I love the oaty-ness of this too! :)

2. Valerie @ From Valerie's Kitchen June 28, 2012 at 9:26 pm #

We love French toast around here and this looks so substantial and yummy with the oats.

3. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies July 2, 2012 at 1:03 pm #

I too find the prospect of drinking straight-up dairy milk absolutely disgusting. I use it in cooking and baking when non-dairy won’t do, but I will never, ever drink it. I bet French toast tastes waaaay better with coconut milk!

4. amy donovan July 3, 2012 at 2:04 pm #

This looks wonderful! Like you, I’m not a huge fan of regular milk, + rarely have it in the house, except for baking. Coconut milk + coconut water, on the other hand, I love! This morning I made oatmeal + instead of using water/milk, I used coconut milk to make it. Delicious!

5. Samantha Sumarli July 4, 2012 at 2:55 am #

What a great recipe!! I, too, loooove coconut milk! mmm! I have to try what french toast tastes like with yummy coconut milk! :D

6. Baker Street July 5, 2012 at 12:29 pm #

Coconut milk in french toast!! Why didn’t I think of that earlier! I gotta try your dairy free version!

1. Blueberry-Banana Nut French Toast: French Toastwich! | Claire vs Kitchen - September 10, 2012

[...] recipe for Oatmeal Cookie Pancakes. A few minutes later I came across a beautiful picture of Dairy Free Coconut Oat French Toast.  (Both of these come from a blog called Domestic Fits. She’s great…definitely poke [...]

2. french toast with cinnamon | Diary of a Crazed Cook - November 19, 2013

[...] coconut oat french toast [...]