Chocolate Coconut Brownies (Vegan!)

To see my Coconut Oat French Toast, click on the picture:

Why would a meat eating cheese monger such as myself want to make something vegan? Several reason, not the least of which are my friends and family who can’t or wont eat dairy. As meat eaters, it is even more important for us to experiment with vegan and vegetarian food and not hang on the crutch of animal products with the exclusion of other foods. We need to have all types of recipes in our arsenals, not just to accommodate those who might be guest at our tables, but in order to discover foods that we didn’t know we loved, because we didn’t think food with “vegan” labels applied to us. In exploring vegan cooking I have discovered what an amazing texture vegetable shorting lends to frosting, how rich and beautiful coconut milk tastes, and how fruit purees can be a flavorful stand in for butter.

Dairy free baking is something I want to lean towards more. Only using milk products when other substitutions would compromise the overall product, but in many cases vegan substitutions make the end result just as good or even better. Plant based foods just feel better in my body and if the taste of the food isn’t harmed then why would I make any other choice?

I started exploring dairy free cooking when three friends where coming over for dinner. One was kosher (meat and dairy can not be served together) one was allergic to cow’s milk and the other was breast-feeding a baby who couldn’t have dairy. All three needed a dairy free meal. I realized how much dairy I use. Why? I love plants, produce, vegetables, fruit…why all the milk?

These brownies where really good. Not just “good for vegan” but just really good. So fudgy and intensely chocolatey, even Tater couldn’t keep her little fingers off them.

She took a bite and then carefully put it right back where I had place it. So cute, I love that kid.

Chocolate Coconut Vegan Brownies

1/3 cup coconut oil

1 cup agave nectar

1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk (can sub coconut milk)

1/3 cup strong coffee*

1 cup cocoa powder

3/4 cup whole wheat flour

1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (I used Bob’s Red Mill)

1/2 tsp salt

In a bowl, beat together the coconut oil and the agave nectar until well combined. Add the soy milk and coffee and beat again. in a separate bowl, add the cocoa powder, flour, shredded coconut and salt and stir to combine. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined, don’t over mix.

Spray a 8×8 inch baking dish with cooking spray (or line with parchment paper) and pour bater into prepared pan.

Bake at 350 for 16-18 minutes. You don’t want to overcook these or they will be too dry. Allow to cool before cutting into.

For an extra treat, serve warm topped with coconut milk ice cream.

*Note: Coffee intensifies the flavor of chocolate, with no trace of a coffee taste. If you don’t like coffee, or don’t have a coffee maker, stop by a Starbucks and order a black coffee, use 1/3 of a cup and freeze the rest in ice cube trays for use in future chocolate baking.

Like Domestic Fits on Facebook

, , , ,

33 Responses to Chocolate Coconut Brownies (Vegan!)

1. Shoshana June 20, 2012 at 4:10 pm #

Did you melt the coconut oil first, or leave in its solid form?

• Jackie June 20, 2012 at 4:15 pm #

It was room temperature, solid, but a bit soft. If you stir it a little, it should soften up.

2. Chung-Ah June 20, 2012 at 10:17 pm #

I definitely want to do more dairy free cooking too, and this is the perfect way to start :)

3. Baker Street June 22, 2012 at 7:47 pm #

I never try to make vegan recipes but this one looks like it must be tried! :)

4. amy donovan June 25, 2012 at 9:45 am #

these look so rich + delicious + I love that they’re vegan – i have a lot of vegan or dairy-intolerant friends, so they’d love these (as would i)!

5. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies June 25, 2012 at 3:41 pm #

Ooh, they look so dense! Yum. :) I’m of the same opinion when it comes to vegan cooking/baking–if we’re not going to miss the dairy, I won’t use it. It’s about prioritizing how I use dairy & eggs, not cutting them out altogether.

6. Vegan Baker July 7, 2012 at 8:05 pm #

Wonderful recipe! It has so much flavor and the perfect texture! Yum! I wouldn’t see why anyone would have to make non-vegan brownies ever again! These go perfect with some chopped pecans or walnuts in them, as well as a nice cold glass of almond milk. Thank you so much for this recipe. Cheers!

• Jackie July 8, 2012 at 4:17 pm #

Great!! So glad you liked them as much as I did :)

7. Jessica July 27, 2012 at 3:31 pm #

Sounds amazing, love coconut and chocolate! Have you tried making this with something other than wheat flour?

• Jackie July 27, 2012 at 3:59 pm #

I havne’t, but if you do, let me know how it goes :)

• matilda July 27, 2012 at 6:05 pm #

Cant I substitute the agave nectar with brown sugar?

8. Marcelline July 31, 2012 at 7:32 am #

These are really, really good. Came out perfect, used the coconut milk instead and they are better than any non vegan brownie anywhere. Excellent recipe!

• Jackie July 31, 2012 at 8:23 am #

Yay!! I;m so glad you liked them:)

9. madeleine August 1, 2012 at 6:18 am #

I couldnt get it to mix well and used canola not coconut which is thicker. It still tastes good but I cant cut individual brownies so I scoop it out woth a spoon instead. It didnt look like your brownies – much too liquidy when mixed.

• Jackie August 1, 2012 at 8:43 am #

I’m sorry! Canola oil is very different from coconut oil, so I’m sure that was the issue :( A lot of people have been using coconut milk instead of coconut oil and it has been working out well. But canola oil wouldn’t work, it’s too runny. Sorry it didn’t work for you.

10. Kelly August 5, 2012 at 10:26 pm #

Nice recipe. I love a simple brownie recipe which is easy for the kids :)
    I also like the below brownie recipe.

Thanks for sharing,
    Kelly

11. Jessica August 6, 2012 at 8:48 am #

Has anyone tried this recipe with any combination of gluten free flours?

12. Jaime August 17, 2012 at 5:44 am #

I just arrived on your blog via Pinterest. Have just started to go dairy free after gallbladder removal and Thank you!!!! I’m a chocoholic so will deff be trying these xx

• Jackie August 17, 2012 at 8:04 am #

Hi! Glad you came by :) I’m been cutting out dairy for health reason, I may be mildly lactose intolerant. But There are still dairy products that I love and “risk it” for. But I like to stay away from them when it’s easy.

13. N September 28, 2012 at 3:48 pm #

I just made these brownies and they look nothing like brownies. theres nothing in your recipe about baking soda or baking powder. did you forget to list this?

• Jackie September 29, 2012 at 1:38 pm #

No. Brownies are not leavened, that turns them into cake. Only add an a learner if you want “cakey” brownies. All brownies recipes I have ever made do not include any type of baking soda or baking powder because it makes them like cake instead of the fudgey dense consistency brownies are meant to be.

14. Molly November 4, 2012 at 7:15 pm #

Wow, I wasn’t expecting these to come out as well as they did. I’ve only had bad experiences with vegan recipes til now, so it was a pleasant surprise. These were very chocolatey and definitely hit my family’s sweet craving without being too unhealthy.

15. Elizabeth December 18, 2012 at 2:54 pm #

What brand of cocoa powder do you use? :>

• Jackie December 18, 2012 at 5:56 pm #

I really like the King Arthur Flour All Purpose Cocoa Powder, it has a really rich deep flavor, much better than that store bought stuff.

16. Mary February 27, 2013 at 8:36 pm #

Delicious, but SO sweet! Maybe I’m just sensitive to sweetness…

After 18 minutes the middle was still gooey, but I took it out thinking it would continue to cook, but it didn’t really cook anymore…that’s okay though because gooey is good :)

17. Jade March 28, 2013 at 3:30 pm #

Hey thanks!!!! :D I work on an organic farm and one of the woofers (traveling willing workers) is vegan so I thought I’d give these a shot! I used the coconut milk And it worked great! Aww man my fellow workers went nuts for them, I’ve never seen them so happy :D that was one amazing afternoon so thank you!!!!

I also made some coconut/vanilla chai icing and put it on the top :) tasted so nice xoxo

• Jackie March 28, 2013 at 10:09 pm #

That’s awesome! and vanilla chai icing sounds incredible!!

18. Marie October 25, 2013 at 1:23 pm #

Hello!
    Your recipe really looks yummy!
    I want to try this recipe but wanted to ask you first if I can remplace the agave?
    Don’t really like the taste of agave….

thanks in advance :)

(sorry for my english I’m french ^^)

• Jackie October 25, 2013 at 1:30 pm #

If you don’t mind that it isn’t considered vegan, honey works just fine as well. I’ve also heard of people using corn syrup. And your English is wonderful :)

• Marie October 30, 2013 at 5:26 am #

I want to do it vegan and corn syrup isn’t easy to find in France
        Do you think maple syrup work the same way?

I really want to make this recipe when I’ll visit my family next week :)

19. Masha December 10, 2013 at 8:05 am #

Just revisiting this after finding the recipe last year. Marie, you can absolutely use maple syrup – that is what I usually do. I have also made it using rapadura sugar instead of the syrup – about 2/3 of a cup. I find I have to add a little more milk (I use almond) in that case but it still comes out tasty. I also find that it takes 25-30 minutes to bake.

Great recipe!

20. Rahanna August 13, 2014 at 8:35 pm #

Made these tonight on a whim. Fantastic! Best brownie (vegan or otherwise) that I have ever made at home. I reduced the agave nectar to 1/2 cup to keep some of the bitterness of the chocolate and used coconut milk instead of soy milk. Thanks so much for the amazing recipe!

1. 35+ Diet-Friendly Decadent Desserts - January 7, 2014