Bacon & Panko Crusted Scallops

Bacon wrapped scallops sound like such a great idea, don’t they? Two fabulously delicious meats teaming up for one incredible bite. There’s an issue. A  huge, unavoidable, technical glitch: the cooking times. Like most great loves lost, the deal breaking fundamental flaw is timing. Bacon takes somewhere around 3 times as long to cook as scallops, giving you two options: Hideously dry, overcooked scallops or semi-raw undercooked bacon. Yum, appetizing.

If you really want to fly in the face of Kosher and wrap your shellfish with pork, you have two really great options:

Wrap your scallops in prosciutto, like I do here, only needing attention on the scallops cooking time since proscuitto can be served any where from raw to cripsy,

or

Bread your scallops with crushed bacon and Panko, which I do below.

Either way, pork and scallops are harmoniously reunited. I knew those two crazy kids would work things out.

Bacon & Panko Crusted Scallops

4 strips of bacon, cooked

1/3 cup panko

8 large scallops

1/4 cup flour

1/4 cup milk

2 eggs

1/2 tsp salt

3 tbs canola oil

Roughly chop the bacon and add to a food processor along with the Panko, pulse until well combined and the bacon is reduced to crumbs, remove from food processor and add to a bowl.

Add the flour to a plate.

Add the milk, eggs and salt to a bowl and beat to combine.

Dry the scallops very well and dredge in the flour, knocking off any excess, dip in the milk/egg mixture and then into the Panko/bacon bowl, coating well. Place in the refridgerator for ten minutes to allow the coating to stick.

Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook scallops on both sides until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side, taking care not to over crowd the pan.

Pin This Post!

This is what happens when you try to photograph food while hanging out with a 2 year old:

Like Domestic Fits on Facebook

14 Responses to Bacon & Panko Crusted Scallops

1. amy @ fearless homemaker May 23, 2012 at 2:18 pm #

what a wonderful idea! i love the flavor combo of bacon + scallops, but i agree, i’ve had some funky overcooked scallops that way. scallops are one of my all-time favorite foods, so i’ll have to try ‘em this way soon!

2. Cassie May 23, 2012 at 4:09 pm #

Loooove scallops. And the panko=brilliant. Love this Jackie!

3. Tom D.J. May 23, 2012 at 7:56 pm #

Great blog, I love it! I noticed that about bacon scallops. this looks like a great fix.

4. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious May 23, 2012 at 10:52 pm #

Both these options sound amazing! Thank you for solving the problem of dry, overcooked scallops. You rock!

5. Baker Street May 24, 2012 at 7:54 am #

I’m obsessed a little with scallops! Lol. And you paired it with bacon! YUMMMM!

6. fatpiginthemarket May 24, 2012 at 8:32 am #

You’ve solved the bacon wrapped scallop dilemna! I just had a hitting the head with palm of hand moment when I read your solution. Totally a why didn’t I think of that moment. Adding the crunchy goodness of panko..indeed!

7. Bree May 24, 2012 at 12:06 pm #

Absolutely a great idea–yum!

8. Sarah May 24, 2012 at 4:46 pm #

Yummy! I usually crumble bacon pieces on afterward, but this takes the marriage to a whole new level!

9. Deanna May 25, 2012 at 10:51 am #

I hate when places serve something wrapped in soggy bacon. I think cooking the bacon until just before it goes crispy then wrapping it around scallops helps, but its kind of a pain in the butt to get it right.

10. Valerie @ From Valerie's Kitchen May 26, 2012 at 9:01 pm #

What a fantastic idea and YUM! I need to go check out the prosciutto ones now.

11. claire @ the realistic nutritionist May 30, 2012 at 8:46 am #

I’d dip my arm in panko and bacon and eat it. Wait, does that sound creepy? This looks delicious!

12. Holly @ Life as a Lofthouse May 31, 2012 at 9:19 am #

These look so good!!!

13. Senior Care Lockport IL June 12, 2012 at 12:34 pm #

Haha, the picture with your child’s hand is so incredibly adorable!
    Bacon and Scallops pair so well together… I am excited to try them with the panko!

1. crispy baked scallops | Wagshal's Blog - September 16, 2013

[…] { via Food & Wine; recipe contributed by Melissa Rubel Jacobsen; images via Domestic Fits} } […]