BLT Caprese Sliders With Puff Pastry Buns

Small food is for the commitment phobic.

Or maybe just for those of us that want to experience everything.

I don’t want to have to decide between a pull pork sandwich, bree grilled cheese and a burger. I want them all. Which is why I will always owe a debt of gratitude to Spain and the brilliance of Tapas.

Some people want to hunker down with a bowl of their favorite food and call it a day. I fancy myself more of a food gypsy. I want a bite of everything. I’m the girl at the Thanksgiving dessert table that takes a sliver of each piece of pie, brownie, and cake onto one plate because the idea of not knowing what each type of pie, plus the cherry brownie, plum tart and the pumpkin turtle cheesecake all taste like is unthinkable. While other people can just take a slice of apple pie and watch the game. Lucky bastards.

BLT Caprese Sliders With Puff Pastry Buns

2 sheets  Puff Pastry

3 tbs butter, melted

1/2 tsp course Kosher salt

5-6 Roma Tomatoes

2 tbs Pesto Sauce

20 spinach leaves

4 balls Fresh Mozzarella, Bocconcini size

10 slices of bacon, cooked and cut in half

Preheat oven to 350.

On a lightly floured surface, roll out one sheet of puff pastry to approximately 14.5 inches by 16.5 inches. Using a 3 inch biscuit cutter, cut out 20 circles. Repeat for the second puff pastry sheet.

Brush each puff pastry round with melted butter and sprinkle lightly with salt.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and transfer the circles to the baking sheet(s), butter side up.

Bake for 16-19 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool.

While those are baking, prepare your ingredients.

Cut each Mozzarella ball into 5 slices, set side.

Cut the off the stem end of the tomato, as well as the opposite, pointed end of the tomato. Cut the remaining tomato into ¼ inch slices. You will need 20 slices.

Once the puff pastry has cooled, assemble to sliders:

Take one puff pastry round, spread with about ¼ tsp of pesto sauce. Top with a tomato slice, then a spinach leave, then mozzarella slice, then slice of bacon and top the entire thing with another puff pastry round. Secure with a 3.5 inch skewer, if desired.

Like Domestic Fits on Facebook

, , ,

22 Responses to BLT Caprese Sliders With Puff Pastry Buns

1. fatpiginthemarket March 9, 2012 at 11:18 am #

Puff pastry bun…powerful move! I like small bites too. I’m definitely in the food gypsy camp.

• Jackie March 9, 2012 at 11:28 am #

“Power Move”! Love that :)

2. Susie March 9, 2012 at 12:28 pm #

Looks delicious…. love the puff pastry bun!

3. RavieNomNoms March 9, 2012 at 12:33 pm #

These are just so cute!! I love little bites like this!

4. Tina@flourtrader March 9, 2012 at 3:59 pm #

You come up with some of the most creative appetizers and this one is no different. While caprese is a favorite with many, your extra touch with the puff pastry buns really makes it so much better! Tasty creation here. Have a great weekend!

5. Deanna March 9, 2012 at 5:45 pm #

I love miniature food for all the reasons you listed. In the last month I’ve made mini quiche and mini Croque Monsierus. The puff pastry bun is a stroke of brilliance.

6. Liz March 9, 2012 at 5:55 pm #

I love caprese anything…and these little sandwiches with bacon are no exception! SO yummy!!!

7. Cassie March 10, 2012 at 1:08 pm #

This is so brilliant Jackie! I love the combination, and the puff pastry. So awesome!

8. Elizabeth March 10, 2012 at 4:31 pm #

I am totally the same. Please don’t ever take me to a buffet, it’s just too much. Or Dim Sum! Just roll me outta there. i have to have a little of everything and the more of “everything” well, the more I must eat! One needs to try every taste right?

9. Valerie @ From Valerie's Kitchen March 10, 2012 at 4:38 pm #

This is my philosophy exactly! Everything, in moderation. You don’t have to feel as guilty if it’s tiny :) Great idea to use the puff pastry!

10. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. March 10, 2012 at 9:40 pm #

I am exactly like you! I want to taste it all! And that is exactly why I also love tapas! And I love these little caprese bites!!

11. Kristina March 11, 2012 at 7:51 am #

I love the puff pastry buns!! These look sooo good! I’m with you too :) I’m always the girl sampling a piece of everything…. sneaking a finger in the chocolate cake… then breaking a piece of the brownie…

12. Bree March 12, 2012 at 10:54 am #

These look terrific–great for a party. I am actually making caprese chicken sandwiches tonight myself! :)

13. Baker Street March 12, 2012 at 7:44 pm #

Puff pastry bun is a wonderful idea! These really look so so good! :)

14. amy @ fearless homemaker March 16, 2012 at 11:46 am #

oh my goodness, these look absolutely amazing! i’ve never tried making puff pastry buns but they look wonderful. what a smart idea!

15. Alli March 17, 2012 at 6:28 am #

Those buns are genius!

16. Mary March 17, 2012 at 8:09 pm #

I’ve been flirting with adding bacon to caprese – you’ve given me some courage! Thanks!

17. naomi June 3, 2012 at 11:39 pm #

Oh this looks divine!

18. Robin April 15, 2013 at 7:17 am #

Precious! I assume I can make the “buns” ahead of time….name of the game for me:)

1. 10 Tasty Sliders You’ll Love to Get Your Hands On | Yummly - January 29, 2013

[...] BLT Caprese Sliders With Puff Pastry Buns from Domestic Fits [...]

2. BLT Sandwich Recipes for a Perfect Breakfast | Favorite Food RecipesFavorite Food Recipes - January 2, 2014

[…] Recipe at domesticfits.com […]

3. 10 Amazing Slider Recipes - February 12, 2014

[…] Domestic Fits BLT Caprese Sliders With Puff Pastry Buns {2} Food, Folks and Fun Chicken and Waffle Sliders {3} […]