Avocado Crab Chowder

My favorite thing about fall is homemade soup. I love a soup that takes all day, it’s like an art. But, since I am a very busy working mom, as I assume quite a few of you are too, I also need a really delicious soup that I can make after work. I invented this soup because I adore clam chowder, but I’m not a huge fan of the clams that you buy at the grocery store. Crab, in all it’s delicious splendor, was a fine substitution. I added the avocados because I live Southern California, a very avocado heavy place. If you ever make it out west, make it a mission of yours to stop by a farmers market (we get to have them year round in these parts) and have one for yourself.

Avocado Crab Chowder

2 tbs butter

1/2 cup chopped onions

3 large cloves of garlic, minced

4 cups chicken broth

2 cups potatoes, peeled, chopped

1 cup corn kernels (I used Trader Joe’s Fire Roasted Corn Kernels)

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

1 tsp Old Bay seasoning

1/2 tsp chili powder

3/4 cup heavy cream

1/2 tsp chili pepper sauce (Such as Tapatillo or Tabasco)

2 6oz cans crab meat (lump or claw meat if you can find it), drained

1/4 cup lemon juice

3 large avocados, chopped

In a large pot, melt the better over medium/high heat. Saute the onions until soft and translucent. Add the garlic and stir. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Add the potatoes and allow to boil until the potatoes are soft, about 20 minutes. Add the salt, pepper, Old Bay, and chili powder, stir to combine. Remove the soup from the heat. Using an immersion blender, puree until smooth,  and then pour in the cream, stir to combine.  Return to heat, add the corn, and allow to boil until thickened, stirring frequently,about 5 minutes. Add the chili pepper sauce, crab meat, and lemon juice and stir to combine. Adjust the seasonings to taste. Pour into serving bowls, garnish with avocado.

, ,

19 Responses to Avocado Crab Chowder

1. Christine November 4, 2011 at 2:22 pm #

This looks so good. Love soup.

2. Lindsey@Lindselicious November 4, 2011 at 2:37 pm #

Hell to the yes. This looks so good and I love the spicy and creamy combo.

3. Kimberly @ Badger Girl Learns to Cook November 4, 2011 at 4:28 pm #

Totally with you regarding not wanting to buy clams at the grocery store. When I first read your post, I thought it said a ‘rally’ soup and I was totally in. This is a really good soup and a rally soup. :)

• Jackie November 4, 2011 at 6:19 pm #

I have NO idea what a “rally” soup is, but I’m in. AND I would love to attend a “Soup Rally” if such a thing exists ;)

4. Steve @ the black peppercorn November 4, 2011 at 4:50 pm #

ok, wow, this looks really yummy! buzzed!

5. Anna November 4, 2011 at 10:33 pm #

I didn’t realize that crab when mixed with creamy potatoes can turn into a pretty light orange (almost like a mixture of pink and orange)tinge. This is something so easy and yet so full of flavors. Good job for posting this…More power!

6. Carolyn November 5, 2011 at 5:27 am #

This looks incredible! I love crab and avocado together.

7. Jessica | Oh Cake November 5, 2011 at 12:42 pm #

This looks so delicious! I absolutely love avocado with crab – what a fantastic soup!

8. Stephanie November 5, 2011 at 1:10 pm #

I love crab. I’m not a big fan of grocery store clams either. This soup looks so yummy!

9. jules November 7, 2011 at 4:51 am #

This looks absolutely delicious and combines my two favourite foods – crab and avocado. What is ‘Old Bay Seasoning’?

• Jackie November 7, 2011 at 9:01 am #

Old Bay is something that is really commonly used in seafood dishes to highlight the fish flavors because they tend to be mild. It’s made by McCormick, so it tends to be in most grocery stores. Keep an eye out for it, it’s great!

10. RavieNomNoms November 7, 2011 at 12:41 pm #

Oh wow, this is fantastic! I love crab and avocado! I am sure that I would gobble this up in about 2.3 seconds…yum!

11. claire @ the realistic nutritionist November 8, 2011 at 1:11 pm #

Your photos are gorgeous!! I love the avocado in this!!

12. Allie November 22, 2011 at 8:47 am #

Absolutely wonderful! It makes a very good substitute for clam chowder cravings. :) Silly picky men-folk…

13. RecipeNewZ June 28, 2012 at 4:11 pm #

I found this post though Pinterest. The photo was so beautiful that I just had to come here to read the recipe! And I am so glad I stopped by – love your site!
    I would like to invite you to share your recipes on a new photo based recipe sharing site that launched in May. The idea is simple: all photographs are published within minutes of submission. And, of course, the images link back to the author’s site. It’s called RecipeNewZ (with Z) – http://recipenewz.com
    Hundreds of bloggers have already joined. I hope you too get a chance to visit and try it out. It would be a pleasure to have you on board :-)

14. Teresa September 10, 2012 at 7:32 pm #

Just made this and it is awesome! I’ll admit I was a little nervous to put so much lemon juice in, but that’s because I’m a total newbie in the chowder world, and it tastes great! Oh and for all you other special people out there, I made it gluten free by substituting 1 tbs white rice flour and 1 tbs potato starch for the 3 tbs flour. Yum!

• Jackie September 10, 2012 at 8:06 pm #

Yay! I’m so glad you liked it :) and I love that GF substitution.

15. Megan Hodges March 21, 2013 at 3:09 am #

Hi Jacquie,
    I wanted to thank you for some excellent recipes, and some lovely and positive writing accompanying each. I’m looking forward to making this, and the Baked Potato Soup (I made a similar one with sweet and normal potato the other day – love the idea of fresh tomato and sour cream as a garnish). It’s just getting a bit colder here in Australia, so I’m reading new Soup recipes. Getting some chicken skeletons for stock at the market tomorrow. It’s all lovely, isn’t it :-)

• Jackie March 21, 2013 at 7:45 am #