Italian Eggs Benedict with Pesto Hollandaise

I worked in a breakfast cafe through college. This is the reason that I will never be able to eat Hollandaise sauce in a restaurant. Those of you who have also worked in breakfast joints may be nodding your heads in agreement, while those who haven’t may have a puzzled look on your face. If you want a further explanation, this book does a pretty good job. I do, however, love Hollandaise and appease my cravings with a homemade Eggs Benedict at least once a month. I love a twist on a classic recipe (as you can clearly tell by my postings) and pesto goes well with just about everything.

Italian Eggs Benedict with Pesto Hollandaise

4 eggs

4 slices of crust Italian loaf bread

4 slices of prosciutto

4 slices of tomato

4 basil leaves

4 tbs melted butter

2 tsp pesto

4 egg yolks

2 tbs room temp water

1 tbs lemon juice

Poach the eggs, one at a time in simmering/boiling water. Remove with a slotted spoon after about 3 minutes or when the whites are solid and yolk is still soft and uncooked.

This recipe really comes down to the sauce. First, melt the butter with the pesto. Then, in a good quality sauce pan, add the yolks, lemon juice and water and whisk quickly and continually over low heat until it’s frothy and doubled in size (this is an arm work out, be prepared). You don’t want too much heat or you’ll have scrambled eggs. If you need to step away for a second, or if it’s getting to hot, remove from the heat. While continuing to whisk, slowly add the butter in a steady stream. Continue to whisk until thickened, and almost doubled. If your sauce gets too dry and thick, you can add a few tbs of water.

Slice four pieces off a loaf of crust Italian bread. Ciabatta would also work nicely.

Toast your bread lightly. I placed mine under a broiler for about 3 minutes. Top your bread with tomatoes, prosciutto, basil, poached egg and then a few tbs of your pesto hollandaise.

, , ,

10 Responses to Italian Eggs Benedict with Pesto Hollandaise

1. Eva Toneva July 18, 2011 at 12:16 pm #

Delicious and beautiful! Congratulations, Jackie! :)

2. Tori @ The Shiksa in the Kitchen July 18, 2011 at 1:09 pm #

Wow Jackie this looks out of control delish. Great seeing you yesterday! So crazy how the world works, huh? Let’s do it again soon! :)

3. janet@fromcupcakestocaviar July 18, 2011 at 1:38 pm #

I love the idea of the Pesto in the Hollandaise. Cool!

4. Lindsey@Lindselicious July 18, 2011 at 8:36 pm #

Now I am so curious why you wont eat it… but I feel like I really dont want to know since I love Hollandaise. Ignorance is bliss right? This looks so yummy! Love the bread you did this on too.

5. Kelly July 19, 2011 at 6:30 pm #

What a gorgeous presentation!! This looks delicious! :)

6. Lyndsey @ Vanilla Clouds and Lemon Drops July 19, 2011 at 9:34 pm #

My mouth is watering! This looks delicious. Eggs Benedict is a favourite in our house along with Italian food so this looks just perfect – I can’t wait to try it for a change. Thanks! : )

7. Antipasto recipes August 1, 2011 at 10:24 am #

I already made this at home this week – delicious and it was so great in the midst of the summer. Thanks!

8. Antipasti recipes August 9, 2011 at 12:50 am #

9. Antipasti recipes August 13, 2011 at 5:02 am #

This looks so yummy!

10. Olivia @ FatBurningFurnace December 13, 2011 at 3:20 pm #

This looks amazing! I have never had anything like this so this is really interesting and looks really yummy! I’m going to try it maybe over the weekend when I can take my time with the recipe and not be rushed during the weekend.